Atomic Aquatics Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great regs , I have a M1 and a T1x and they are the best breathing reg I have ever used. Just sold my Poseidon Xstream on E bay because. I went on a dive trip and had my T1x with me as back up and used it while a friend tried out my Poseidon, I never used the Poseidon again. I was diving on wrecks at 120,130 and love the way Atomic breaths. Never think about taking a breath, totally natural.

They rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an M1 and my wife has a B2. They are exellent.

The Z1 will breathe just as well, it just doesn't have as many bells and whistles. If you get the Z1, get the B2 exhaust put on it. It will greatly reduce bubble interference.

Dragon2115:
I'm in the process of selecting my first regulator and could use some opinions. I'm currently looking at an Atomic Aquatics Z1. I've read that it performs well in testing. I only know of one person in my area that has an Atomic reg (the B1) and loves it. An important factor is that my LDS carries and services them.

Intended use is in tropical waters, but I could see myself getting pulled into a local dive (New England) but only at the warmest time of the year. Diving cold water doesn't interest me.

My questions are:

Why does there appear to be so few people on this forum using Atomics?

Is there something negative I haven't found out about them yet?

What is everyones' opinion of the Z1?

Hey... I saw your posting asking about Atomic regulators. I have two: the M1 and an earlier B1. I've been diving since 1959 and have used a variety of regulators. The first one was a Nemrod by Seamless Snark II -- heaven only knows how I survived that experience. In the last 20 years I've used ScubaPro and Sherwood, and only in the last 2 years have converted over to Atomic. What I've found through the years is that using the top-of-the-line model(s) from the big name dive equipment companies seems to always produce a very satisfactory result. I really can't tell much difference between a Sherwood Maximus, a ScubaPro MK 25 with G500, and my Atomic M1 or B1. Your service support through your local dive shop is the real determining factor. These top end regulators are all outstanding and I've used them all to depths of 215' and down to 34 degree water. Another factor is what your dive buddys on the boat are using. If you're around a lot of Atomic divers than there's an added level of support right on the boat with spare parts. So, in my opinion, Atomic is absolutely outstanding, as long as you have strong LDS support, and maybe even dive buddies with similar gear. I always dive with redundancy for an added measure of safety: H-valve with a second top-line regulator, and also a pony. One thing I especially like about the Atomic M1 is that it's rated to 80% nitrox with 3000 psi, and 50% nitrox with HP systems (>3000 psi). The titanium regulators have some risks when it comes to oxygen enriched compressed gases -- like fire! If you think you're going to just dive the southern waters, I think you'll be suprised. New England is wreck diving country, and in time you'll get the bug. You'll be diving cold and deep and happy. Go for the best regulator you can afford, and be sure you have top shelf support. Happy (and safe) diving... Doc

The Z1 is an excellent reg. My wife and I both use them and I never notice it underwater, it just works. The best thing about the Z1 is that it performs as well as the other Atomic regs and costs substantially less. The higher-end regs have some bells-and-whistles that the Z1 lacks, but you can add the bells from the higher-end regs (the M1 exhaust T and the B2 swivel) to the Z1 for less than the increase in cost to get the higher-end regs (because you're not paying for the higher-cost materials in the B/M/Ti series). We have the M1 T, and it's great. They didn't have the B2 swivel when we got ours, but I've been thinking about adding it. We'll see.

Amusingly, if you look at the weight charts, the Z1 is actually the second-lightest reg in their lineup, after the Ti's, which are 100% titanium.

Service costs should be pretty low if you have the unsealed model. If you want to do your own service, they are covered in the Airspeed Press books, although I don't know how easy it is to get spare-parts kits for them.

Dragon2115:
Speaking of which, what is the typical cost to have one of these regs serviced and how much do replacement parts run if it needs them and it's after the warranty has expired?
Last summer it was $60 including the whole parts kit, most of which the service tech said didn't need to be replaced. YMMV.

I own a couple of Atomic regs. All I can say --- silky smooth breathing, all of their reg line. Pricey, but worth it.

Thanks for all the info folks. I'm feeling a whole lot better about my choice of reg. It would be nice to be able to pick up a spare parts kit for travelling though. Just for peace of mind. Given that I'll probably be one of these vacation divers that everyone despises :wink: it will be serviced before each vacation season so hopefully I shouldn't be in the position to need it repaired while travelling unless something very unsusal happened to it.

liberato:
To those who are familar with the Atomic hose swivel, does it also come on an octo length hose?

It's a little gizmo that goes between the reg and the hose. I don't think it comes with any hose, but adds about an inch or so to the normal one.

I do have to say, it breathes like a warm summer day laying in a grassy field. Absolutely smooth, no resistance. Just amazing.

Terry

I am looking for the Atomic branded one. Is that what you are talking about? I had heard it was fused to the hose. If not then that is great and no problem then (regular length hose is too short for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom