Atomic Blade vs Jets/Slipstream Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whysocold

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I currently dive Atomic Smoke on the Water fins and am looking at blade fins. Atomic has finally released their blade fins and, I believe, my SotW spring straps fit these new fins. Overall, I have been happy with my SotW fins, but would like to use other kicks and I would rather kick hard with a blade than fast with a split. I also dislike that the SotW fins float. I end up using ankle weights when I'm in a full wetsuit otherwise I end up upside down.

I'm also considering the Jets or Slipstreams since they are the fin that most tech divers use. I am, however, concerned that they are heavy for travel, have an uncomfortable foot pocket, and don't prominently display the Atomic logo :wink:.

Does anyone have experience diving both of the Atomics and the SP/OMS fins? Does anyone know if the new Atomics float?

I love my Slipstreams, but they're practically neutral. It makes them perfect for sidemount. I know a lot of people in backmount (especially doubles) actually prefer negative fins. The Jets are a couple pounds more negative than the Slipstreams. If you want negative fins, the Hollis F1s are the best fins I've used.....but I don't need that much weight at my feet.

Slips are very stiff fin, look into diverite fins, jets will be very heavy to use with wetsuit, same goes for f1's

My son an I started diving last fall with the Mares Quattro fins. I like the Fins very much and get excellent performance out of them.

Two weeks ago my son's instructor let him dive with his Atomic Blades. My son now owns and dives with the Blades. He said he is getting much more propulsion with less effort. I going to steal them this weekend and see how they go.

I'll be picking up a pair of blade fins in a few weeks and will report back on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you dive in NorCal, the heaviness of Jet is a plus. For travel to warm water, OMS slip is a good choice, neutral by itself, slightly negative with spring straps, and it is much cheaper than Atomic blade. The down side for OMS is that it is quite stiff and bulky, making it harder to pack. In water, I like the stiffness for better control and burst power. For long swim, it can be tired.

But for $179 for Atomic blade?? It is a bit too much for a pair of fins to me.

MikadoWu and staggsSevin, if you get them in the water, I would like to know how they perform on different kicks. Especially frog and back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent used the Atomic blades, but did own a pair of atomic splits before I converted to Jets. I dive Jets exclusively now. Doesnt matter if it is steel doubles and drysuit and 4C water, or boardshorts and Alu80 in 28C water...

I've used Atomic splits and OMS slips. The OMS was a huge uncomfortable hunk of plastic. I think people confuse the difficulty in kicking with them with power. I haven't used any of the softer Jet or Jet knockoffs. I've used Atomic Splits in gentle, current, surge, back paddling, etc. I really trust that fin.

The Atomic Blade is an interesting fin to me because it uses real fluid dynamics concepts and and no gimmicks (slingshot, seawing, etc). It is a very smart blade fin. It borrows a lot of concepts from force fin design but isn't a force fin. I like the foot pocket design.

The only thing the Blade doesn't have is word-of-mouth about whether or not it works as advertised!! I hope to see more reports on these fins soon.

Deco, Looks to me like another Mares design and just another #SHOEFIN. The raised ends are something we have used on several models for Force Fin..but I would not give them to much credit for my designs. A #SHOEFIN, with colorful Mares designed blade. That's my personal take.

Back
Top Bottom