Atomic Jam Nut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off, I know some might give me crap for this, but I talked to some people who are smarter than me and I felt comfortable making one.

I removed the comfort swivel hose on my atomic reg and needed a jam nut. After looking online and seeing they want $25 for one, I thought what the heck. I'll just print one. After some quick work in fusion I printed a couple of test models.

So far it is working great. I printed it out of PLA originally, which actually seems to hold up fine, but then I printed it out of ABS. I'm not great with ABS so it was a little too tight and eventually cracked. I'd like to try printing it agian now that I've fixed my tolerance issues. Finally I decided that I wanted it super good quality so I printed it out of resin. The resin print is a little brittle so I'm not sure if I like this as much. I'd like to try the ABS like resin but I have like 10 bottles of resin so I can't justify buying another one. Especially since I'd be spending like $30-$40 to save $20 :D
Screenshot 2023-09-27 112541.jpg

Either way it was a fun project. I've got about 20 extras right now so I certainly have spare parts if one fails.

First off, I know some might give me crap for this, but I talked to some people who are smarter than me and I felt comfortable making one.

I removed the comfort swivel hose on my atomic reg and needed a jam nut. After looking online and seeing they want $25 for one, I thought what the heck. I'll just print one. After some quick work in fusion I printed a couple of test models.

So far it is working great. I printed it out of PLA originally, which actually seems to hold up fine, but then I printed it out of ABS. I'm not great with ABS so it was a little too tight and eventually cracked. I'd like to try printing it agian now that I've fixed my tolerance issues. Finally I decided that I wanted it super good quality so I printed it out of resin. The resin print is a little brittle so I'm not sure if I like this as much. I'd like to try the ABS like resin but I have like 10 bottles of resin so I can't justify buying another one. Especially since I'd be spending like $30-$40 to save $20 :D View attachment 803697

Either way it was a fun project. I've got about 20 extras right now so I certainly have spare parts if one fails.
I'm getting ready to start experimenting with blending flex resin with structural resins to see what it gets. It's supposed to keep most of the strength while handling the brittleness problem. It may be a couple weeks but when I get to it I'll let you know how it goes it may be just the solution for your resin printed version.

Respectfully,

James

I'm getting ready to start experimenting with blending flex resin with structural resins to see what it gets. It's supposed to keep most of the strength while handling the brittleness problem. It may be a couple weeks but when I get to it I'll let you know how it goes it may be just the solution for your resin printed version.

Respectfully,

James
Yeah, I'd like to do that too. I just have so much resin right now. Last year amazon had a special on the resin i use. Buy two get two bottles. Then then my order got lost in the mail. So amazon sent a new one. A week or so later I goy my orginal order, but Amazon didn't want it back. So I have 8 bottles from that order plus the few I had before. I don't print nearly that much :).

I'll be curious what you find. I've seen some youtube videos discussing this and it seems like a good option.

can't you just use a fat washer? Like a quarter drilled out?
I know for me, as a 3d printer owner, the immediate knee jerk reaction is always "can I print it?", lol.

Atomic calls it a “heat sink”, at least on the M1’s, which leads me to believe that the one made of metal has some importance.

YMMV, as always.

I'm pretty sure I did use a drilled out quarter when the fitting was too long for my standard hose, but my recollection is fuzzy. Maybe I used a quarter and a SS washer?

I'm pretty sure I did use a drilled out quarter when the fitting was too long for my standard hose, but my recollection is fuzzy. Maybe I used a quarter and a SS washer?

Here is another shot. You can see that the gray nut needs to make up all the space between the hose fitting and the body of the reg. Maybe yours set up was different?

Atomic calls it a “heat sink”, at least on the M1’s, which leads me to believe that the one made of metal has some importance.
Aren't the M1 sold as more of a cold water reg? So I think the "heat sink" would make sense on that model?? I really don't know, just guessing.

Attachments

• PXL_20230915_032911213.jpg
    PXL_20230915_032911213.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom