Atomic regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree with upgrading to a Jet Seat piston, what is a reason for going with monel over SS whether using Nitrox or air? I'm not seeing an advantage. I added the SS Jet seat piston to my T1 and sealed it up and love it.

When compared to SS, monel has better corrosion properties but also less chance of fire issue in elevated O2 environments. So a way to hedge your bets when using a nitrox with a Ti reg.

Thanks everyone who contributed information for me. What I have is a 1997 titanium first stage with the Titanium Ti2 second, correct? Now my options. Flip it on eBay, O2 clean it and upgrade the piston for a dedicated Nitrox reg for myself. Or put a colorful new purge cover on it and give it to my daughter. I will loose sleep over this decision I need to make.

You will get the biggest bang for your money if (BIG IF), you can get reliable service. Atomic regs are (my opinion) some of the best regs on the market. The only reason I don't dive them is that I couldn't get reliable service.

I'd be interested in knowing if you got your money back after paying for service and parts, if you serviced it and then sold it. My guess is you would not.

Personally I would not use a titanium regulator as a dedicated nitrox reg. Even though there's probably a slightly lower chance of it igniting than there is of being struck by lightning, it just doesn't make sense to me to do that. Why not use it as your air regulator and then keep a brass reg for nitrox?

I'm a little unclear as to why the first generation of atomic Ti regs were not recommended to switch between air and nitrox, but I suspect it might have had something to do with the state of nitrox fills and understanding at the time, in addition to any parts differences in the regs themselves.

Depending on price, I'd like to buy it as is.

You should call AA themselves and see what they'd charge you for the service, jet kit and trim kit.......I suspect it will be a good $200 plus.
If you have a friendly local dealer that still has some jet kits and covers they might be able to do better as these were recall/warranty bits they get for free if they return them to AA.

As Halocline said titanium wouldn't be my 1st choice for a dedicated nitrox reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom