Atomic regulators: O-Ring sizes (...again...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dominik_E

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

first, please bear with me. I am a relatively new forum user, but have made attempts to use the search function. It is just that while the general topic (O-ring sizes) has been discussed many times, my questions is more specific:

I do not do full rebuilds myself. But I regularly "have to" switch between configurations with 1 and 2 first stages (warm ocean water while travelling, cold lakes at home in Germany). Thus I need to replace O-rings way before the regs will be rebuilt. I am using Atomic regulators.

I do not seem able to find a clear statement from Atomic about exact sizing of individual rings. My biggest question marks at the moment are:

1.: The O-rings on the LP port blind plugs. LDS tells me that normally, size 011 is used for everything that goes into the LP port. These are however larger than the ones that came with the blind plugs originally (size 010?). The original ones however have to be quite substantially stretched to go over the plug. Which size do you guys normally use, 011 or 010 (or will it not make a difference --> the first stage side of the inflator hose that goes into the same port as the blind plug definitely has a size 011...)?

2.: Tank side of the DIN valve: Atomic seems to use a smaller size than some other manufacturers. Which size is this? Also, which material to use? Viton, as it is a high pressure application?

3.: Apart from the complete rebuild kit, does Atomic sell O-ring kits, removing the need to solve the sizing-puzzle step by step?

Many thanks already!

Dear Dominik
As you can see in the catalogue there are several Orings between the size 010 and 011 Catalogue - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving
In regards of high pressure and low pressure the material that the Orings are made is irrelevant. What matters regarding pressure is the hardness.( shore sh.or else duro ) of the Orings the sh70 or sh75 are soft Orings suitable for low pressures like under 100 bar The sh85 and sh 90 are more suitable for high pressures since they can handle pressure with out damage.
In scuba gaskets catalogues last pages you can find an actual size chart for some of our Orings in order to help you identify the sizes. Print it at actual size printing settings.
Hope those info helps to solve your issues
Regards
Nicolas
All LP ports and plugs use 011s (or if you want the exact one - 903)
o-ring sizes question
All LP ports and plugs use 011s (or if you want the exact one - 903)
o-ring sizes question
Hi all,

first, please bear with me. I am a relatively new forum user, but have made attempts to use the search function. It is just that while the general topic (O-ring sizes) has been discussed many times, my questions is more specific:

I do not do full rebuilds myself. But I regularly "have to" switch between configurations with 1 and 2 first stages (warm ocean water while travelling, cold lakes at home in Germany). Thus I need to replace O-rings way before the regs will be rebuilt. I am using Atomic regulators.

I do not seem able to find a clear statement from Atomic about exact sizing of individual rings. My biggest question marks at the moment are:

1.: The O-rings on the LP port blind plugs. LDS tells me that normally, size 011 is used for everything that goes into the LP port. These are however larger than the ones that came with the blind plugs originally (size 010?). The original ones however have to be quite substantially stretched to go over the plug. Which size do you guys normally use, 011 or 010 (or will it not make a difference --> the first stage side of the inflator hose that goes into the same port as the blind plug definitely has a size 011...)?

2.: Tank side of the DIN valve: Atomic seems to use a smaller size than some other manufacturers. Which size is this? Also, which material to use? Viton, as it is a high pressure application?

3.: Apart from the complete rebuild kit, does Atomic sell O-ring kits, removing the need to solve the sizing-puzzle step by step?

Many thanks already!

Hi,

thanks for the replies! So, 111 for the DIN valve. The pressure is I think (indirectly) not completely irrelevant regarding material as 300bar will mean a higher ppO2 than 9.5+ambient bar. Though I of course agree that the O-ring will not catch fire, there could thus be a rationale for viton...

So, there seems to be no strong agreement whether 010 or 011 is "better"? Of course I could just run with 010 as this was what Atomic seems to use, but from gut feeling I do not like how the 010 needs to be stretched to go over the plug...(?)

Herman, what you write in the post you linked also sounds very logical. I just wondered why the manufacturer will then supply 010 on the plug it seems. But then, if it works it is of course fine. As said, from gut feeling I would also have disliked the fit of the 010 -- without knowing the detailed specification you present.

Thanks!
Dominik

The Atomic service kits have 010 for the LP plugs in them.

StefinSB, that means the Atomic first(?) stage service kits have O-rings for the plugs in them (-> I do not have a kit at hand to check...)?

It says I do not have permission to view the album...

Thanks anyhow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom