Atomics T2 nitrox use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uglyredshoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand that Titanium burns under high oxygen content.

But why must the T2 be dedicated EANx if used with nitrox?

Why can't be, be like other regs and just be used interchangeable between 21%-40%?

I went into my LDS and was informed that my Atomic Titanium Reg is dangerous to use with 36 %. I asked if there was a change in policy with these regs and they were unable to provide any written documentation. Is there a new study out there that we need to know about. Plus if I dive with my B2 Atomic, I still have Titanium in the 2nd stage, would this also qualify. Thanx in advance.:blinking:

uglyredshoes:
Yes thats true but while we all know that, why is it that it must be EAN dedicated ?

This is from the Atomic Aquatics Technical Service Procedures:

Atomic Aquatics titanium first and second stage regulators, (T1x, T1, T2) are supplied factory cleaned and ready to use without modification with EAN mixtures no greater than 40% oxygen concentration at pressures no greater than 3500 psi. This is provided that the regulator is dedicated for such use at point of sale and not contaminated by pressurizing with an air source that is not hydrocarbon free and oxygen compatible.

yeah but why?

just a safety procedure not to switch between nitrox and air?

because the other titanium reg that i looked at, the scubapro mk25t has no such issue. so im juz kinda curious.

Here is why I think they say this - if you use the Ti reg with air that is contaminated with hydro carbons then you have provided it a fuel source. Now if it is then used with Nitrox and the hydrocarbons start to burn then the Ti can also burn. So what Atomics is trying to do is keep you from introducing a potential fuel source. The reason this is not a problem with brass regs is that the brass does not burn.

Why Atomics says this and not others I would assume be because of legal advise.

Just my guess

uglyredshoes:
I understand that Titanium burns under high oxygen content.

But why must the T2 be dedicated EANx if used with nitrox?

Why can't be, be like other regs and just be used interchangeable between 21%-40%?

They're just being conservative.
I think most people wouldn't give it a second thought when switching between air and EAN<40. I sure don't.

I wrote Atomics and asked them a similar question and this is the response I got from them."It is not necessary to dedicate the T2 to either EAN or standard air. However, the T2 CAN NOT simply switch back and forth between the two airs. If you use your T2 with standard air you must have it Nitrox cleaned before using EAN. For this reason we suggest you dedicate the T2 to either standard air of EAN. If you plan to switch between standard air and EAN (40% or less) frequently I suggest you consider the B2, M1 or Z2 regulators. These regulators do not require cleaning when switching air types. If you see advanced technical diving using EAN mixes with higher then 40% oxygen in your future I suggest you purchase a M1. The M1 allows you to use 50% oxygen EAN without the need to clean and 80% if the M1 is cleaned for oxygen use."

I hope this helped answer your question.

Chuckitall:
....... Plus if I dive with my B2 Atomic, I still have Titanium in the 2nd stage, would this also qualify.
The 2nd stage only sees the approx 140psi intermediate pressure so it is much safer with nitrox than a titanium 1st stage, which is exposed to full tank pressure and therefore much higher ppO2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom