Attn: Dr. Bill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just dried myself off after making a few dives.

My TV show. Well, it is a public access show that has been running for about 5 years now. I was fortunate to have old friends Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dr. Richard Murphy at Ocean Futures let me use a series of 5-minute short subjects repackaged as 30-minute episodes to start the series off on our local Catalina Cable TV system.

As I filmed more and more, I put together my own 30-minute episodes and now have a total of about 80 including the original Cousteau-Ocean Futures ones. Most of the episodes are what I refer to as "Dive Highlights." I take the best footage from a series of dives (say a weekend to two weeks, depending on the frequency of my diving and the footage I've shot) and put it together with narration and a sound track. When I'm doing dive travel, I create episodes specifically from other regions (Florida Keys, Belize-Honduras, Sea of Cortez, etc.). These are pretty polished for a public access show.

The other kind are focused shows such as great whites of Guadalupe, California sea lions, giant sea bass, squid mating, etc., that use the best footage from all my filming put together into a single show.

Although this series ("Dive Dry with Dr. Bill") appears only on Catalina Cable TV, I plan to try getting it "syndicated" on public access stations throughout SoCal this year.

My interest is in marine education, something I've done for the past 40 years. However, I do need to actually make some money. I plan to use the public access shows to drum up interest in a commercial 20-24 part TV series I'm already working on about Kelp Forest Ecology.

My target audience is actually not divers. Relatively few divers on Catalina even watch the show ("I've seen it all myself"). What I'm really trying to do is reach non-divers who do not have direct access to our underwater world. That is why it is called "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill," my audience gets to experience the underwater world in the comfort of their easy chair, with no wetsuit or cold water required.

Although I produce my show strictly with footage I've shot, I think this is a great idea for collaborative work between divers in a given region. If a dozen videographers from North Carolina (for example) got together, pooled their footage and their production abilities, and got a show together featuring the marine (or even freshwater) life in their area, it would be great as an educational tool, as a possible way to excite others about diving, etc. I know there are such efforts already underway in the Pacific NW and New England regions.

By the way, if anyone out there has information on foundations and other entities that might support such an effort with grants, equipment donations (video and SCUBA equipment), etc., I would appreciate hearing about it. This effort has been largely financed from my personal savings over the last six years... and my bank is getting awfully anxious about when I plan to pay my mortgage!

Hi Bill

I have built a website called: www.theaquaplanet.com where you can watch, upload and share your diving and diving asociated video clips.

This site is free to use and is a scuba diving version of youtbe.com

Please feel free to upload anything you like or get in touch with me and we can possibly create your own channel for your project and use this to generate a following for your project.

Not yet, but I will have. I've held off not wanting to tie up bandwidth between the island and the mainland, but now that there are web sites hosting videos and I'm producing a few short samplers, I plan to soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom