Attorney's wrist slapped for lobster poaching - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't disparage all lawyers for the actions of this disgusting example, but as a lawyer he undoubtedly was aware of what they did and the fact 28 lobster were hidden proves it. Maybe Greenpeace needs to sink their boat next time.

I'll bet that most of us can find stories where someone stole a loaf of bread and/or lunch meat to eat or feed their families and wound up getting a couple of months out of it. I wonder if the FWS had to package the lobsters before they were returned to the thieves. I wonder if the judge got invited to the party that weekend that just happened to have lobster as the main course.

"Steven Koeppel could face disciplinary action from the Florida Bar, said director of public information Francine Walker, but the Bar has not looked into his case yet."

He's an idiot for risking his license to practice law over lobsters. Oh, he wouldn't completely lose his license for something this relatively minor--it isn't like he bilked a client out of money--but he could have a black mark on his record. Anyone seeking to hire him would see that he has been subject to disciplinary action. I sure hope the Florida Bar does find a violation of their rules.

The chances that the Board will even take it up are minimal. Typically, the will say it has been settled with the fine.
Here in Oregon we had 2 pigeon keepers who would bait and catch eagles and hawks then suffocate them. They had a 55 gallon barrel full of beaks and talons.
Thats $2500 per kill and 6 months in fed day camp.
The judge gave them each a $2500 fine and court costs - about $200.
Have to say, that was a big FU to those officers.
Went scouting for a new elk spot and saw 2 poached deer. Pretty typical. Very sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom