Lobster poaching starts early

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as soon as we get that toll booth installed....

Not sure it's physically possible for S. FL to install more toll booths.

You have it all wrong. These folks are freedom loving Americans being strongarmed by the government with regulation. Why not just let the free market take care of this rather than burdensome regulations written by some bureaucrat?

Visit the diving paradises of Haiti or Jamaica if you want to see where 'free market harvesting" leads, vs Bonaire, where critter are protected, and all of the fish, even the tiniest of fish have not ended up being eaten as happened on those over fished, over populated and unprotected islands.

Sea life is still around this island still remains abundant and varied.

Toll booths cost $, especially manned ones, but you could place electronic readers every quarter mile or so, and go boothless......
The same scanners could charge tolls by the mile, write speeding or other moving violation tickets, and even ticket for inspection and expired tags...
Progress....

Toll booths cost $, especially manned ones, but you could place electronic readers every quarter mile or so, and go boothless......
The same scanners could charge tolls by the mile, write speeding or other moving violation tickets, and even ticket for inspection and expired tags...
Progress....
Welcome to South Florida....

Progress....

Welcome to South Florida....

We are clearly getting off topic and for that, I apologize. I have less of a problem with the tolls as I do with the fact that I have to rent a transponder to pay the tolls when I rent a car. What do people who drive their own car from out of state do?

What do people who drive their own car from out of state do?
We get our hineys spanked. I TRIED to pay those Florida tolls but it was like the toll booths were dodging me, i paid the big invoice that came in the mail.

We are clearly getting off topic and for that, I apologize. I have less of a problem with the tolls as I do with the fact that I have to rent a transponder to pay the tolls when I rent a car. What do people who drive their own car from out of state do?
They have to use one of the less convenient "old style" booth or get a bill in the mail. Renting a transponder is just a scam executed by the auto rental companies. Transponders cost $5 to purchase outright and are sold on regular shelves at convenience and grocery stores across the state. I have even seen them in vending machines at rest stops along the interstate. Most 'toll booths' are being converted to a system where a video camera takes a photo of your license plate. I don't think the transponders get used at all in those newer booths. The best part is you don't even have to slow down for the new system, I can confirm it works just fine at 90mph.

I'm pretty sure there's no fee to sign up for the account. https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml Toll fees are cheaper if you've got a prepaid account, although it's not significant unless you're hitting the toll roads frequently (during a commute or something). When you sign up, you register both your license plate and any transponder that you purchased. I've moved my "disposable" transponder 3 times now and it works just fine so I see no reason to pay more for the larger and uglier suction cup mounted thing.

Also if you're from Georgia or North Carolina, the toll pass systems are interchangeable. Georgia passes work in FL, Florida Passes work in GA etc. Hopefully all the states will get on board someday.

If you didn't bother to register for a sunpass account and you're here from out of town you will eventually get a bill in the mail. If you used a rental and the company got a bill in the mail then the rental company will probably put the screws to you.

I have sun passes in each car, and the heavy one that changes cars for when I need to rent something. You have to let them know ahead of time the plate number so you don't get a weird bill. Like when I need a U-haul.

Actually, SunPass is the one you want and you can buy it before you get here: https://www.sunpass.com/en/signup/transponderclassify.shtml

FL Toll Road Map with Agencies.png

You have to let them know ahead of time the plate number so you don't get a weird bill. Like when I need a U-haul.
Call them with a tag number when you pick up the car. Just do it before you leave. BUT... and it's a big BUT... change the tag after you return the car or truck or you'll be paying for their tolls till you do.

Please. If they read that they might take it as a challenge.

I have sun passes in each car, and the heavy one that changes cars for when I need to rent something. You have to let them know ahead of time the plate number so you don't get a weird bill. Like when I need a U-haul.
I have moved mine to a friends car before without updating the license plate in the system. As far as I could tell, nothing weird happened. They deducted the toll fee from my sunpass account. Might have been a different story if it was one of those camera based toll booths, it was an rf based sunpass booth for the sunshine skyway bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom