ATX50 or TX50/DS4 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tau

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting to replace my current setup to be DIR compliant in preparation for my fundies class. So far I have replaced my Sherwood BC with a Hammerhead scuba bp and oxycheq wings.

I would like to change my Reg setup next. I've decided on getting either the APEKS ATX50 setup or the TX50/DS4. It is stated that the only difference between the ATX50 first stage and the DS4 is the swivel turret.

My LDS carries the ATX50 setup but does not carry the TX50/DS4. Does the swivel turret make the ATX50 not DIR compliant? Can the swivel turret cause problems?

Where would I get a TX50/DS4? I live in Los Angeles, CA.

Since APEKS is owned by aqualung, does that mean that I won't get the warranty if I ordered it online?:11:

The swivel creates a possible failure point. The DS4 is the better option, IMHO. If you order it online, it probably won't be covered under the warranty. Unless the online store is an authorized AquaLung dealer. If you LDS has the ATX50, they can order the DS4.

DJ

Your LDS can order really any Apeks combination if they wanted to. They can do a TX50 with a DS4 or an ATX50 with a DS4 or whatever else you need, they only need the motivation. Like maybe drop a hint that you are only going to buy a specific combination, money is a great motivator. :)

As far as the DST and the whole "swivel turret failure point" saga :rolleyes:, go look at all the allegedly "DIR" ScubaPro MK25 first stages with swivel turrets. :wink:

No, the real reason you don't want a DST is the d*mned swivel turret is a frickin' PITA. It moves when you need it to stay put the most, when you are gearing up. And once you have your gear on, the swivel suits no purpose, your inflator hose and bungeed backup will keep it from moving to any degree anyway.

I'm told the swivel on the DST is nice for a stage bottle, but I'm not qualified to comment on that except to say I'm a long way from doing dives that require slinging a stage bottle and from your profile it looks like you might be in the same boat as me.

I saw a TX50 at Hollywood Divers about a month ago.

I was comparing it to the Scubapro MK 25. I like the concept of an environmentally sealed first stage although, I'm not sure how much it would really matter.

Christian

My understanding is that the TX50 is no longer in production so you should get a price break for that 2nd stage. But why pay more for an adjustment knob that only makes it harder to breathe? It only goes from zero effect to a negative effect. The venturi control is sufficient to prevent any free-flow, and all the Apeks regs have that. So the TX40 or ATX40 is all you really need.

empressdiver:
My understanding is that the TX50 is no longer in production so you should get a price break for that 2nd stage. But why pay more for an adjustment knob that only makes it harder to breathe? It only goes from zero effect to a negative effect. The venturi control is sufficient to prevent any free-flow, and all the Apeks regs have that. So the TX40 or ATX40 is all you really need.

Not quite true. The adjustment knob adjusts the cracking pressure and you can set it very low making the second stage breath very nice but it would be to sensitive for general use. At the same time you would want a very non sensitive second stage for a backup as well as when diving in high flow or current or scootering especially on the longhose when diving stages. Also when diving in really cold climates the temperature changes the setting and you need to slightly detune your second stages or they will start to freeflow.

So all in all there are several occations where the adjustment knob is very useful and personally I always recommend people the (A)TX50 over the (A)TX40.

Peter Steinhoff

tau:
I'm starting to replace my current setup to be DIR compliant in preparation for my fundies class. So far I have replaced my Sherwood BC with a Hammerhead scuba bp and oxycheq wings.

I would like to change my Reg setup next. I've decided on getting either the APEKS ATX50 setup or the TX50/DS4. It is stated that the only difference between the ATX50 first stage and the DS4 is the swivel turret.

My LDS carries the ATX50 setup but does not carry the TX50/DS4. Does the swivel turret make the ATX50 not DIR compliant? Can the swivel turret cause problems?

Where would I get a TX50/DS4? I live in Los Angeles, CA.

Since APEKS is owned by aqualung, does that mean that I won't get the warranty if I ordered it online?:11:

I'd say do the class before you change too much gear! (Especially regs). Your instructor will give you good hints on features to look for in gear and save you from wasting $. Generally almost any reg is good enough to get going with for now.

The TX as opposed to ATX are really hard to get ahold of. www.diverswarehouse.co.uk
used to sell them, and may still do so.

The DST have one 1/2" instead of 3/8"(?) LP port, so you need different size hose attachments (and this tends to make it a bit harder to route for singles tank)

Hollwood divers will almost certainly let you get the DS4 with ATX if you want (rather than the DST), and it's probably cheaper (I use DS4 and TX50/ATX50 and it works well for me).

I think if you order online, it might be difficult to get the warranty, but you can get the regs cheaper (diveinn.com has them and good service)

Just got my NEW ATX50 with a DS4.

Now if I can figure out how to get the 2nd stage face off. Is there a secret method anyone would like to share?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom