Aug-Sep in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dakar

Reaction score
sitting on the largest sand bar of them all....
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello to all,

I am a DM, 28, looking to stay in mexico for about 2 months (Aug-Sep 09)
I would like to work as a DM, find a nice place to stay and learn the job, while having fun... the plan B is to go for an IDC (as I was planning on taking it sometime).
Never been to Mexico, from what I read here, Playa del carmen seems like a great place.
Any offer,advise or help will be greatly appreciated!

Might be tough trying to dive into a job down there right now. Many many people lost jobs due to a little virus. Many dive shops that usually had several DMs working everyday are doing rotations like 3 days on and 3 off just to keep spreading what little money that is coming in around. Others have just had to let go most of the support employees until times get better. I was talking to one dive op on Monday that told me they went 3 days without sending out a boat and at 4pm....I was the first customer in the shop that day. Hell....I bought a T-shirt I didn't even want just as a quilt sale. Then again...I may have been the 45th First customer that day.

Also there is the little matter of getting the right permit from the Mexican government. I think it is called FM-3. Unlike the US, if you get caught working without one, they put you on a plane and bar your reentry for several years.

Is there any other country in the region that you would recommend instead? the main 3 things I am looking for are: Good warm water diving, Spanish speaking, cheap.
Any recommendations will be a great help! the 1 thing I am willing to negotiate is the Spanish...

Thanks guys!

Is there any other country in the region that you would recommend instead? the main 3 things I am looking for are: Good warm water diving, Spanish speaking, cheap.
Any recommendations will be a great help! the 1 thing I am willing to negotiate is the Spanish...

Thanks guys!

Utila or Roatan, Honduras.

I think you'd love Playa del Carmen, but driftwood's right about the FM3 working visas. They just don't hand them out. Secondly, let me tell ya as a 6 year Playa del Carmen full time resident....it's not cheap. On the flip side, the diving here is the best I've seen around and we have Coz and cenotes just a 45 minute ride away. If you did get a job, it would be more likely in a shop that's in an all inclusive hotel doing free pool demos and barely guiding. But you'd have a good salary. Guess it all depends on what you want to do really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom