Aussie diving April 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Oh yeah, Baby!! Ningaloo Reef is freakin' rocking the new month!! They had eight whale sharks yesterday and I haven't heard about today, but the conditions are glorious. Coral has begun to spawn in places, but the viz is still pretty dang nice.

Lighthouse Bay, pretty much my favourite all year round destination, is crankin'. Blizzard Ridge has the first of the big schools bringing in the predators and I spent pretty much the whole dive just hanging out in the middle of the action today. James, the dive guide for Exmouth Diving Centre today, was sitting a few feet in front of me just chillin while his group enjoyed the festivities when all of a sudden BANG! This huge noise and even bigger cod just exploded inches from us. There were so many fish we hadn't even seen this six foot guy in the crevice before he was right on top of us. So cool! I had a second cod explode straight up hunting a bit later but I was so close to him I even with the 10mm fisheye I couldn't get his mouth in! Wild dive.

Dive two was Labyrinth and it is just starting to see a few small groups of bait. Lots of turtles, an enormous cowtail ray, a really nice if too shy leopard shark, cool nudis, more turtles and just stuff everywhere I went. Not as crazy action packed, but I did 70 minutes and every minute was interesting.

It's also 28C again - yippeee!!

Haven't gone thru all the photos or the little videos yet, but here's a couple
APR13_100_zps898e22c4.jpg

APR13_101_zps57f47392.jpg

Sounds awesome. When you do get to dive you sure make it worth while don't you? We got another one in today I haven't had time to sort pics yet. Eastern Blue Devil put in another appearance. Frogmouth, Cuttle and a nice school of kingfish at the point. heaps of tiny Nudis and the upsidedown pipefish still visible but no sign of the little moray.

Yeah, I've done enough where I pick my days whenever I can :) But still, some days you just have awesomeness!

Your dive sounds like fun - looking forward to piccies!

Here's the leopard shark that swam right over me
APR13_104_zpsb8ae2aa1.jpg

Yup - dove in that group with James - freakin awesome.

Returned today - not the high of yesterday but still a great dive at Blizzard Ridge. Second dive at the Colosseum - a big cloud of glass fish getting swooped by trevally. Two feeding frenzies in two days - bloody brilliant.

thanks to all at Exmouth Dive Centre. I'm buying you gals and guys beer tomorrow, okay?

Does that include a beer for me?? :) the boat is full tomorrow so I can't go out :(

yeah, Blizzard was a HUGE change today. No significant numbers of sea pike on the whole site and only one big school of predators came thru. But I saw some cool stuff and played with one of my favourite sea snakes - he's such a puppy dog!! I forget how cool the reef is at Coliseum. Had a grey reefie, white tips hunting, big glassfish walls, crazy triggerfish, tons of parrotfish, some cool nudis, super awesome schooling trevally & darts & southern drummers, a big turtle and other nifty things. I really enjoyed the dive but got cold - I know, I'm a www even at 26C+ LOL - so called it at only 60 minutes.

Two from BR looked at so far...
APR13_109_zpsb9783271.jpg

diver takes another look at the sea snake
APR13_110_zps6cc14a5d.jpg

sorry, bowls, didn't see your question: the one time of year I whack on the Tokina 10-17 and shoot wide :D

637C-349CMedium_zpscbf07948.jpg

This one looked a little fluffy.. like the Easter Bunny...:)
637C-408CMedium_zps82619ec9.jpg

he was pretty small the gloved fingertip for perspective
637C-411CMedium_zpsc2030bda.jpg

This one was even smaller!
637C-383Medium_zps6ee76dc9.jpg

I have to get my Iklite fixed so I can attach a Macro lense and try with my new light:)

The Eastern Blue devil was there again
637C-394-jMedium_zps6d22b541.jpg

Such cutie nudis!!!

Didn't dive today, deciding to head out whale sharking instead. Conditions for shooting were meh imo so I didn't shoot many frames and will only keep a couple of what I did shoot. Fun to be in the water with them again - and with all those who have never seen one before :) Tiring day, need bed LOL
APR13_111_zps11348593.jpg

Was going to dive tomorrow but when I got back in range my phone had a zillion messages of things I need to deal with, so will do that in the morning instead with an eye on getting back underwater Friday. Reality isn't nearly as much fun as goofing off :D

Beautiful shot ..Whale sharks are on my bucket list:praying:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom