Aussie diving Jan 20th to Jan 31st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha I love the wobbe shot petunia :) It looks like it is smiling for the camera :)

Gudge lovely shots :) I love macro shots!

downunderdiver92:
The diving has been brilliant around Port Phillip Bay from Portsea. Most recently visited Castle Rock and South Channel. Brilliant nudibranch species and the ever present pair of Old Wives along with the lone boarfish. Weedy seadragons are a delight when they appear.

Castle Rock is a great site :) I have only dived there once so want to give it another go. Do you do many shore dives?

The diving has been brilliant around Port Phillip Bay from Portsea. Most recently visited Castle Rock and South Channel. Brilliant nudibranch species and the ever present pair of Old Wives along with the lone boarfish. Weedy seadragons are a delight when they appear.

I haven't visited SB for a while and will be around more regularly.:D

hey nice to see you... always great to have more join in!:blinking:

I got a couple of great dives in today for Australia Day :)

Firstly me and Paul dived at 'Wildside' on Nepean Wall. Didn't take the camera for that one and I am glad I didn't as there was a lot of surge and in general conditions weren't great. However, it was interesting to see a totally new dive site as we've never dived on Nepean Wall. There are 7-gill sharks that hang out here but we did not see any today.

Second dive was at Ozone/Dominion wrecks and it was an awesome dive! Paul had trouble with his ears though, unfortunately so had to spend most of the dive on the surface watching me swim around. We had nice viz!

Here are some pics from me:

Dominion wreck
3227524225_28b52ea00c.jpg

Stingray hiding inside the Ozone
3228378526_4ccd0cd00d.jpg

Short Tail nudi on the Ozone wreck
3228372344_28e0e01162.jpg

And some pictures from Paul:

Blue Devil at Wildside
3228373354_11c1b0e9e5.jpg

Me on top of the Dominion wreck
3228374830_6e50e7e920.jpg

I think this is part of one of the paddle wheels on the Ozone
3228376404_7800ca9e0b.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am back from the Brisbane. Things didn"t go quite the way I would have liked but it was still awesome. First of all the current was so strong it was exhausting just to get to the front of the boat never mind down to the wreck. I was second last in the water for our first dive. As I have problems with the weight of the gear on my scars. I put my gear on in the water (this is also why I can have problems because I don't feel part of the right side of my body). This was a trial with the swell and current. By the time I got my gear on I was already pooped. We then made our way to the front of the boat which was so hard, with the swell and current against us. Then came the almighty pull down to the wreck. By the time I got to the deck I was down to 150bar already. We made our over to the far side of the wreck where the current was blocked. For about 5 minutes the dive was fantastic. There was a wonderful sized lion fish and on the sandy bottom next the wreck a massive shovel nose. Then we got to the front deck. The current quickly grab us and we had to hold on tight to anything you could reach. Pete the dive instructor motioned for us to follow him and as I was turning around to follow the him back to the easy side of the wreak, the current grabbed my fin and ripped it off. I quickly swum after it and caught it was able to swim back to the deck and grab hold of something while I put it back on and tightened it up. However as I looked around I found almost all of our dive party was gone. All that was left was an old diver who had seen me lose the fin and my dive buddy. I felt a sick dread and fear take over me but I refused to panic. I had no idea where everyone had gone. I held on tight for a minute or two while I tried to decided what to do next (I must have looked a sight two arms wrapped around the wreak holding on fast eyes closed tight). The old diver signalled to surface, I nodded my agreement and we (the 3 of us) started to ascend to the bridge of the wreck to do our deco stop holding on to anything we could so we wouldn't be swept away. There we found the rest of the dive group half way through their deco stop. We all hung on while the current tore at us. You had to hang on tight because if the current took you there was no way to get back. While I was hanging on I was thinking about what we had to do to get back to the boat. I was already exhausted from swimming against the current to get my fin and then to get back to my buddy. Inside the dread was still clawing at me. I was scared to let go at the end of the deco because I knew I couldn't swim against the current. Old diver signalled it was time to go and I reluctantly released the rail and let the current take me. I could see the line that we used to come down on but there was no way we would get to it. We surfaced in front of the boat and with some assistance from the old diver I was able to grab the mermaid line as we float quickly past the back of the boat. For a moment I thought we would get swept past without being able to grab it. I was starting to feel the shock and fear take over me and I tried hard to not panic as I was breathing very heavy and hard on my reg. Once again with help I made it back on the boat and promptly burst in to tears asking that they don't make me do it again. I felt exhausted and shocked. (I know it might not seem so bad but trust me I felt like I was on the edge of deep trouble and was very anxious)

After a short time I started to feel better. In my head I was working out why the dive was so awful. The current was the biggest problem. It tired me out, and not just me, most of the other divers had found the fight against the current exhausting. I spoke with Pete about the problems I had and what had happened. He really wanted me to do the second dive but this time he would do all the work for me. He piggy backed me down to the wreak. I held on to his tank and he pulled us down. He stuck to me like glue and this time we penetrated the wreak. It was awesome. Everything went smoothly. I felt safe and in control. And If there was a problem I knew Pete was right there. I am so glad I went back for the second dive!!!!

Today I was off to the Western beach again with Pete, Shon and the crew. We were doing motorised scooters for our Advanced. But the fear of yesterday was still clawing at me there was nothing I didn't want to do more than that. (I had had bad nightmares all night and was feeling pretty blah and even a bit sad) The more I thought about it the less I liked the idea. But Shon and Pete are nothing if not gentle and picked up pretty quickly my discomfort. Shon said I could do fish idenification with her instead if I liked...nice option out! So Shon and I did that and it was amazing. I can't even begin to tell you all the amazing things you can see when you slow down and look. It really was amazing and now I have to find out everything I can and do a little report and mapping for Shon.....especially as I probably made it harder for them by choosing not to do the scooters with everyone else and splitting the group up. But I am ever so grateful!!

Wow sounds like you had a tough time stormysea! I am glad you had a great second dive though, to make up for the first :)

You sound like you've got good instruction too :) Glad you were able to do a fun course. There's no point in doing scooters if you are too nervous. I love IDing fish and spend ages looking in my books and on the net to find out what things are! I find it makes the dive more interesting knowing about the different critters and their habits.

nice pics Sas :clapping:

loving the blue devil and the paddle wheel shot

Hey Stormy we all have dives like that.... the important thing is you got back in the water before you let the bad experience etch into your mind and fears too much. There are some dives you have to pick apart and develop reasonable lessons from. What doesn't kill ya learns ya!

What stood out to me reading your description. The current was strong enough to make it difficult for the other divers too. You were afraid and stressed but YOU CONTROLLED IT! That control was the best lesson you could have. There are often times things don't go right... but now you can say.... I got through that dive and controlled my fear and I did what I needed to do so I can do it again! These are the events that develop our dive skills better than 25 simple easy dives where we are not challenged. Great Job... you should be proud!

The next thing you demonstrated was your ability to say NO to a dive you aren't ready for. That is another significant skill!

I have a couple physical issues I have to compensate for too. It is just a matter of learning how to do what we do in a way that works for us. It is a bonus to have dive buddies and instructors who understand.

Keep blowing bubbles and having fun!

:happywave: Sas those are great shots...:clapping: you have got the nack for that camera quickly!

I dived the Dragons Lair outside Port Phillip Heads on Australia day and the surge was a real challenge and viz was down to about 2-3m. There was a beautiful Blue Devil though under a ledge that made it all worth while. My son and I dived the Portsea pier and again was delighted to see the Weedy seadragon along with the large population of globe fish. The surge wasn't so bad but Alec was able to cope. The Nepean Wall has some great areas along its length.

The shore dives have been the piers a Rye and Portsea. I believe the Blairgowrie pier is also worth a dive. I need to become more familiar with other shore dives around Victoria.

the photos are amazing sas. the blue devil is impressive and the nudis are always a brilliant find.

thanks for the welcome.

Hey stormysea, i just read your story and you were great. We do have these experiences, rarely, but it does give you the idea that you did cope exceptionally well and will be able to handle that type of situation again. Well done!

Now for something different:blinking:... not underwater shots but getting to the water shot... well and getting back to the car shots.. These shots should make it clear why many people change the "P" in Shiprock dive site name to a "T"!:mooner: sorry for the number of shots... but I am trying to tell the story with pics and I figure people can chose to click on them to see them better or ignore them if they want. Please let me know If I am putting in too many:no:

The last two shots are me looking down to fish who is offering his assistance and me looking up at A1 who is heading to the truck to drop off his camera and tank to come back an help. It is wonderful to have buddies who are considerate but never condescending or over protective! They look dark but when you click on them they show pretty well.

I knew I couldn't help anyone and just wanted to get up to the top carrying my own gear... fish says I am "pig headed" I say I am "determined":rofl3:

Attachments

• SR1 (Large).JPG
    SR1 (Large).JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 53
  • SR2 (Large).JPG
    SR2 (Large).JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 48
  • SR3 (Large).JPG
    SR3 (Large).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 56
  • SR4 (Large).JPG
    SR4 (Large).JPG