Aussie diving Jan 20th to Jan 31st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stormysea

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wasn't sure how we long we were doing these threads for but 2 weeks sound good.

I went for an afternoon dive yesterday and again it was fantastic. It was with the guys for devocean again and made me wonder why I paid all that money to dive up north. (we dived the pipes off the goldcoast seaway)

We got in the water at about 5pm and followed the pipe where a massive school of trevally where swimming around us. We sat just watching them for quite some time when out of the murk emerge a humungous shadow....gave me quite a fright actually but as it got closer you could make out that it was a giant grouper. It was soooo big that I would not have been able to get my arms all the way around him. It was amazing!!!!! We saw a lot of other wonderful stuff but the grouper made my day!!

I am diving the Ex-HMAS Brisbane on Sunday and then again of the Gold Coast on Monday!

The Brisbane is a good dive - I saw a whale & her calf on the boat trip back in November, which was a nice bonus :)

I suggest you take gloves (although I didn't and it didn't matter, just bumped shoulders/elbows instead) & a torch

You can also do an aquarium dive at the harbour, if that interests you

I wasn't sure how we long we were doing these threads for but 2 weeks sound good.

I went for an afternoon dive yesterday and again it was fantastic. It was with the guys for devocean again and made me wonder why I paid all that money to dive up north. (we dived the pipes off the goldcoast seaway)

We got in the water at about 5pm and followed the pipe where a massive school of trevally where swimming around us. We sat just watching them for quite some time when out of the murk emerge a humungous shadow....gave me quite a fright actually but as it got closer you could make out that it was a giant grouper. It was soooo big that I would not have been able to get my arms all the way around him. It was amazing!!!!! We saw a lot of other wonderful stuff but the grouper made my day!!

I am diving the Ex-HMAS Brisbane on Sunday and then again of the Gold Coast on Monday!

Pete and Shona from Devocean are really nice people and love their diving. Havn't seen them down at Byron for a while. Tell them that big Mark from Byron said Hi.

Diving in Byron has been excellent with good vis and plenty of "big" stuff and heaps of macro. Saw so many Nudi's on some of the last dives. It looks like they are all out and about.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark, I will certainly tell them you said hi and I will tell they need to organise a trip to Byron really soon (Mostly because I havent been here yet). I am diving the Brisbane with them too.

I have my torch and my gloves and my safety gear......I am all set.

Well actually we both owe a lot to Joe for working out the optimum settings and being so willing to share them.:blinking: I don't think you will have anything to worry about taking it to 30 M. You have already pressure tested it really. Did you get a pocket for it?

I never dive without mine. Some dives I may hardly take it out but the dive I didn't bring it would be the dive I found something awesome!

We dived with AW A1 and fishwife today. It's a dive I've heard about and not done. I must admit the dive itself wasn't spectacular. AW said there are usually more fish and A1 said viz is usually better but it is always nice to dive with them.

Heck I figure any dive is good. I think the wall would be amazing with better viz. I have a great time playing in the bubble cave trying to catch over/under and reflection shots.

I love stripeys and the truncated coral fish were great. I am including a boxfish for Sas. Fish pointed out some pufferfish but I wasn't fast enough to get any shots.

Best of all.... I convinced myself I am in better shape than I thought!:D

Attachments

• DSC05481 (Large).JPG
    DSC05481 (Large).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05485 (Large).JPG
    DSC05485 (Large).JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05497 (Large).JPG
    DSC05497 (Large).JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05498 (Large).JPG
    DSC05498 (Large).JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC05504 (Large).JPG
    DSC05504 (Large).JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05520 (Large).JPG
    DSC05520 (Large).JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05523 (Large).JPG
    DSC05523 (Large).JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 62
nice wobby and seahorse pic! ive never actually stuck my head up into the bubble cave but i do like the reflection of it when youre looking up to it

..... Fish pointed out some pufferfish but I wasn't fast enough to get any shots.......

NEW RULE for Fishy... if i point something out (ie, parra blue & yellow nudi) to hubby and he points it out to Fishy then Fishy MUST show it to you! silly Fishy

......Best of all.... I convinced myself I am in better shape than I thought!:D
:clapping:

Thanks for a great dive....

What do you guys think of making things simpler with this thread? How about two a month.
just have to do ie. Jan 1 to 15 then Jan 15 to end then Feb 1 to 15 and Feb 15 to end.... then we don't have to work out when two weeks start and stop etc and don't have to be starting threads as often but they won't spin out too long either... what do you think AW since this thread was your idea in the first place??

We couldn't dive on Saturday as I had do a little of bit of boat maintenance but we got out today for one longish dive on Bundegi Reef. This was my first time underwater with my new Canon 500D achromatic dioptre on the front of the 100 macro so it was close up time as maximum focus distance was limited to 500mm. Here's a few of my favourites:

Flabellina exoptata:
461196817_vicWt-L.jpg

Sergeant Major:
461196675_EG8qC-M.jpg

Anemone Fish:
461196606_KwnTd-M.jpg

Reticulated Dascyllus:
461196718_A3vpQ-M.jpg

Hydroid:
461196791_u7oXL-M.jpg

Chromodoris sp:
461196786_daG8Y-M-1.jpg

Last edited:
NOW THAT'S MACRO! WOW!

No batfish but what spectacular shots!

The diving has been brilliant around Port Phillip Bay from Portsea. Most recently visited Castle Rock and South Channel. Brilliant nudibranch species and the ever present pair of Old Wives along with the lone boarfish. Weedy seadragons are a delight when they appear.

I haven't visited SB for a while and will be around more regularly.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom