Aussie diving - May week 1 (Fri 2nd May to 8th May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
:happywave

this morning was Shelley again to find the duskie sharks. they were around as we saw them but viz was down from last week so i dont think hubby got any pics

did find a few wobbegongs, inc one out in the open having a rest and lots of small schools of fish.

90min dive but water was getting a bit chilly just sitting around shark watching so i suspect my drysuit will be coming out of its bag very very soon :wink:

tomorrow is bare island to hopefully find the blue devil fish - wish us luck!

Well the weather was pretty bad around Melbourne for diving this week I heard so we went to Blairegowie Pier (in between Rye and Portsea as we heard it was relatively protected. Both me and my buddy were very keen to dive, especially as I bought all my own gear today and wanted to try it out :) Am now very very broke...

Anyway, it ended up being awesome there, (about 6m vis which is pretty good for me) and we saw some mad nudibranches, the most gigantic pufferfish I have seen, lots of shrimp, some cool sponges of all sorts of colours. Has anybody seen a vivid blue nudibranch with spots of orange? I was wondering what type it was.

We did two dives, and were in the water for nearly an hour and a half so got a bit chilly too almitywife towards the end but overall we weren't too bad ( now in a 7mm semi dry and 2.5mm undervest - a drysuit won't be affordable to me for at least a year!). 14C according to my computer so about 8C colder than when I got my OW cert a few months ago.

Had a long break and went to Rye Pier for our third dive in the evening. Got very dark so I am glad I bought my torches. :) Saw a lot of crabs, jellyfish and leatherjackets. The people fishing were very disappointed that there was no calamari and some of them went home. Felt bad for spoiling their night with our bad news!

Off to Sydney next weekend so no more diving until the week after :(. We plan to dive the Eliza Ramsden, so will be my first wreck! Very excited.

Curses, we was foiled again.

tomorrow is bare island to hopefully find the blue devil fish - wish us luck!

NO. :mooner:

well you didnt miss anything at bare island...or should i say because of the viz, we missed everything

viz was between 2mtrs & a bad 8mtrs, very murky and a zillion OW students out there also

did see one nutter diving in a shortie!! here i was thinking i should have used the drysuit - i wonder if he was cold

We dived BI on Saturday ... still can only find one pygmy pipehorse and we didn't see the Eastern Blue Devil either, although viz was better than previous weeks (maybe 8m) but milky.

Not a lot else to report ... except loads of siltfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom