Australia in the summer & Liveaboard recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pimelodous

Reaction score
I have two main questions... I'm planning on going to Australia in mid-jan for 6 weeks. I'm not sure yet when I'll be at the Great Barrier Reef, but how are the conditions at that time of year?

I'm also trying to find a good trip for a live-aboard... I'm thinking 4-5 days. I don't need anything fancy... just safe and reliable. I'm a single guy in my late 20s, so I don't need too many creature comforts.

Have lots of other questions... but thats enough for now.

Thanks,
Randy

Pimelodous:
I have two main questions... I'm planning on going to Australia in mid-jan for 6 weeks. I'm not sure yet when I'll be at the Great Barrier Reef, but how are the conditions at that time of year?

Hi Randy, I recently went on a live aboard for 3 days ( they have longer ones) at Moreton Bay Marine Park. It's south of the Great Barrier Reef
( here's some info. on it Moreton Bay )

although people say it's even more beautiful! One of the reefs ( Flinder's Reef ) has more than 240 different varieties of choral ( more than the Grt Barrier Reef).

The Skipper of the Live Aboard I went on recently said they have a lot of divers go on their trip, who've already been to the Grt Barrier Reef, and enjoyed Moreton Bay a lot more ( much cheaper too ).

This is the Live Aboard I went on, just in case you're interested.

Big Cat Reality

I haven't been to the Grt Barrier Reef myself yet ( just moved to the Gold Coast in QLD) so I can't speak from personal experience.

By the way, the Big Cat only cancelled one weekend all this year, because of bad weather. It's a large very comfortable boat, although not luxurious. The crew is a LOT of fun!!

I'm also trying to find a good trip for a live-aboard... I'm thinking 4-5 days. I don't need anything fancy... just safe and reliable. I'm a single guy in my late 20s, so I don't need too many creature comforts.

Have lots of other questions... but thats enough for now.

Thanks,
Randy

i have done 2 liveaboards from cairns. The first one was with down under dive on the atlantic clipper. we were supposed to move to various reefs but stayed at the same site on norman reef for 3 days. Norman reef was dissapointing as there were about 10 other dive boats and a pontoon next to us. The boat was great, so were the crew. The food was good too. (3 days & 2 nights)

The second one i went on was on Scubapro with Pro Dive. they went to milln & flynn reefs which were uncrowded and pristine. The boat, crew, and food were fantastic and i would not hesitate to reccommend them. (3 days and 2 nights)

I have booked to go on taka dive to Cod hole, ribbon reefs and the coral sea for 5 days and 4 nights, in march 2005. its the rainy season but im going to get wet anyway!

go to www.divingcairns.com once you are in click on liveaboards. they list a whole range of them.

Enjoy.

Have a browse at underwater.com.au the most up-to-date and comprehensive directory of diving services around Australia.

Many operators even offer discounts to underwater.com.au members so its definitely worth your while having agood look around the site.

In the gallery you can check out photos that were taken in the areas you would consider travelling to - submit some of your own once you're back from your trip !

Hope you have a great time in Austrlalia, and check out some of the diving away from the Barrier Reef as well as the rest of the country is full of awesome dive spots as well.

See you underwater ...

Tim :wink:

I would suggest that you get tot the Coral Sea. I have taken the Quicksilver liveaboard out of Port Douglas called Diversity. We were based in Cairns. We went to Osprey reef, Cod Hole off Lizard, Ribbons, and last Agincourt. The farther you get from land the better the diving. You want to get to the outer reefs. We were there in June-July so your weather should be much better. Our weather was 80 and sunny and very calm. We were also able to see whales.

Randy,

Coral Sea is your best bet for great diving. There are several boats operating out of Cairns that go there. The Nimrod, Sprit of Freedom and the TAKA comes to mind. Also, the stand-by / last minute rates can be as low as 50% of the full price. Email the local travel agents (e.g. http://www.jimmys.com.au/) or ask at the offices of the local hostels. Most boats will have vacancies as they're hardly full. However, the stand-by-rates are only for trips departing within the next week so you'll have to be flexible.

If you're still keen on diving the outer reefs from Cairns, I've got some photos from my 4 days trip on the Atlantic Clipper, diving Norman, Sth Norman and Saxon reefs. You can find them at imagestation (links below). Mind you, the water has only about 15m vis and the fish & coral life is not very dense. It's great if you're not chasing after large stuff and is interested in photographing many different species / sub-species of fish & coral. There's lots to see, just not very much of any one thing.

- Dan

Atlantic Clipper day 1 - Saxon Reef: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?...030068&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Atlantic Clipper day 2 - Norman Reef: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?...030071&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Atlantic Clipper - Night dive at Norman Reef: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?...032167&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Atlantic Clipper day 3 - South Norman Reef: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?...030069&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Atlantic Clipper day 4 - Saxon Reef: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?...030074&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

slipslop:
i have done 2 liveaboards from cairns.
I have booked to go on taka dive to Cod hole, ribbon reefs and the coral sea for 5 days and 4 nights, in march 2005. its the rainy season but im going to get wet anyway!
go to www.divingcairns.com once you are in click on liveaboards. they list a whole range of them.
Enjoy.
I am going to sydney, cairns and brisbane in Jan. Did you dive anywhere else in Oz?
I am scheduled to do Cod Hole, but want to know if there is some fun to be had dive-wise out of Sydney or Brisbane?
Christine

heyaustin:
I am going to sydney, cairns and brisbane in Jan. Did you dive anywhere else in Oz?
I am scheduled to do Cod Hole, but want to know if there is some fun to be had dive-wise out of Sydney or Brisbane?
Christine

Christine, I haven't dived out of Sydney. Brisbane, there's a beautiful marine park, called Moreton Bay. It has lots of rock, reef and wrecks, all different kinds of wrecks too!! There are deep wrecks and shallow, with a Brisbane tram, chase boat whaling stations, Tugs, old sand dredges & barges. Flinders Reef is there, with over 240 identified species of choral ( more than Grt Barrier).

I have a story about my experience of a Live Aboard Scuba Diving trip

They also have day trips out there ( it's about 35 miles from Brisbane).

I'm getting the pictures from our trip in a few days, and will put them with the rest here ( I have a few I took with an out of water camera )
Scuba Diving Live Aboard photos on Big Cat Reality at Moreton Bay.

Please come back after your trip and tell us where you went.

Looking forward to hearing about it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom