Australian couple & local guide missing - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks mlsantos for your report and explanation of this incident. It is great to know that there is a specific protocol that is followed in case this situation happens.

The couple and Bobby saw so many lights out in the ocean and they knew these were boats searching for them. There was no way for them to make contact with anyone since they didn’t have a mobile phone or radio andalthough Rene had a cellphone, there was no mobile phone signal in Haleya. Lance and Nicole did feel a little bit of guilt as they had the chance to have a good night’s rest while everyone was out worried and searching for them.
:D Hehe

Great ending! I enjoy following these stories on Google Earth but I can't find Haleya on Google or Google earth. Is it on Ticao Island?

actually if you follow ticao island up to its northern most part there are a few really small islands just a stones throw from ticao. these are the san miguel group of islands Haleya is one of them. They may not be marked on google maps. it actually has the nicest beach and a small structure. And when i was guiding at ticao id always use the beach for picnic lunches between dives.

actually if you follow ticao island up to its northern most part there are a few really small islands just a stones throw from ticao. these are the san miguel group of islands Haleya is one of them. They may not be marked on google maps. it actually has the nicest beach and a small structure. And when i was guiding at ticao id always use the beach for picnic lunches between dives.

Found them, thanks. They look like paridise to visit.

Fixed it for you!
It is great to know that there is a specific protocol that is followed WHEN this situation happens.

The couple and Bobby saw so many lights out in the ocean and they knew these were boats searching for them. There was no way for them to make contact with anyone since they didn’t have a mobile phone or radio and although Rene had a cellphone, there was no mobile phone signal in Haleya.
Sure sounds to me like a couple VHF radios would be in order. Both a shore mounted unit with an antenna up high and the divers carrying Nautilus Lifelines. All of this wouldn't have been much of an event as their own boat would have rescued them, and if the search was continued they called have called from a shore station to alert the responders they were safe.

Either way it is a happy ending :)

Back
Top Bottom