Authoritative Incompetency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been out with 20 Scuba Ducks and have people get all mad that I have such a big class. But they aren't a class! That doesn't stop them from asking me questions or me pointing out something or other. In fact, I make it a point to NOT baby sit them unless we are in a class situation. If I see anything dangerous I act immediately, but other than that I let them do their own plans and dives. It helps them to mature as divers... and ingrains the concept that THEY are responsible for their actions.

Now, I wasn't there... so I am just listing this as a possibility. You were and have a much better idea of what was going on. MOST instructors I am acquainted with really want to do what is right and stay within their agency's standards. Heck, most of them EXCEED their agency's standards every chance they get.

Oh yeah... welcome to the board, Sea Biscuit! I hope you learn as much and meet as many great people as I have. Have fun and dive safely!

Sounds Awesome! Just out of Curiosity, Did you mention your Certification agency?? Your class sounded almost exactly like my SSI BOW class. The only things we were required to purchase (if we did not already have it) was the Mask, Snorkel, and Fins. My mask didn't fit since the last time I used it (8 years earlier) and he sold me a used $50 mask for $14. I never felt he was trying to pressure me into purchasing anything; it is this reason I do almost all my purchases through him. He recognizes my loyalty with discounts, free air, and free equipment upgrades.

Like you my First dive had _LOW_ Visibility (5 feet) but there were plenty of instructors and assistants to make it feel "safe."

Oh.. And this SSI shop taught the dive tables. Heck. We used the Dive tables so often, all I have to do is close my eyes and look at the residual image. Even though we used dive computers, we had to "Plan the dive, and dive the Plan" using tables; not sure where he got that quote... But both the instructors were very adamant about it. :D

Sounds like a splendid opportunity for creating a new specialty course...

VTWarrenG once bubbled...
One year later: the instructor referenced in the first post in this thread has since been found guilty on felony drug trafficking charges. It seems he had developed a habit of storing bags of cocaine inside sealed and pressurized air cylinders. I don't know all the details just yet, but it seems fitting end to his career.

- Warren
:wink: :wink:

Thanks for the welcome NetDoc. Looks like a lot of really knowledgeable people here.

Windwalker - It was a great experience, and I was glad I started over again from scratch. I'd forgotten a lot more than I realized during the 10 years I wasn't diving.

I'll gladly spend some extra $$ to buy equipment from him rather than on the 'net. Partly because he also offers discounts, which make the price differential bearable, but mostly because I know I can trust his advice.

I didn't mention the agency because my point was that I believe the experience and outcome depend on the individual instructors, the LDS, and the students themselves, rather than the agency. I think many of them do get it right, but it's the ones that don't which stick out. FWIW, this is a PADI outfit.

VTWarrenG once bubbled...
One year later: the instructor referenced in the first post in this thread has since been found guilty on felony drug trafficking charges. It seems he had developed a habit of storing bags of cocaine inside sealed and pressurized air cylinders.

- Warren

Yes, but he could tow a water skier with his flutter kick!

Sea Biscuit once bubbled...
<SNIP>
I didn't mention the agency because my point was that I believe the experience and outcome depend on the individual instructors, the LDS, and the students themselves, rather than the agency. I think many of them do get it right, but it's the ones that don't which stick out. FWIW, this is a PADI outfit.

I agree, (ala Austin Powers) "It’s all in the instructors, Baby!" I have a buddy who is a PADI instructor, my brother was PADI certified, and it really boils down to the instructor. IMHO all the agencies seem to have similar minimum standards, all the information taught is bunk if the information is not presented in a competent manner, by a competent instructor.
By the fact that I was certified SSI/TDI and you were certified PADI, we both had very positive results, it is another affirmation that "Its not the Agency" its the instructors.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom