Average age of scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forty-twelve........ aka 52.

divezero:
On recent articles, it stated that the average age of a scuba diver is 36, lets do our own test and see what the average we get is, we will see if it has increased or decreased. We will add all the ages up and divide by how many posts there are, this will give us the average, so lets start here:

20 yrs old.

Who do you include in the avaerage? The OW cert last for life. Do you count all certified divers even if they have not been in the water for 10 years? What if olders divers tend to dive less even if there aare more of then so on any dive boat the average age would be fairly young simply because the majority of olders divers stayed home. If you poll people here I'd bet the age is skewed to the younger side because they tand to be the ones using computers more. And then you have the "self selection effect" in this pool you wil only get divers who like to respond the polls on scubaboard. Not exactly a unbiased sample of divers.

You have to define what you want to know and then devise a way to find that out.

OK I'm 48 my Son is 15. Average is 31.5 but I dive about 5X more than he does do you want a weaighted average? then it is (48x5+ 5)/6 and that will give you the average age of a diver you might meet at a local beach.

ChrisA:
OK I'm 48 my Son is 15. Average is 31.5 but I dive about 5X more than he does do you want a weaighted average? then it is (48x5+ 5)/6 and that will give you the average age of a diver you might meet at a local beach.

Oh great. Now we have to start over.

ChrisA:
Who do you include in the avaerage? The OW cert last for life. Do you count all certified divers even if they have not been in the water for 10 years? What if olders divers tend to dive less even if there aare more of then so on any dive boat the average age would be fairly young simply because the majority of olders divers stayed home. If you poll people here I'd bet the age is skewed to the younger side because they tand to be the ones using computers more. And then you have the "self selection effect" in this pool you wil only get divers who like to respond the polls on scubaboard. Not exactly a unbiased sample of divers.

You have to define what you want to know and then devise a way to find that out.

I think you're overthinking this whole thing :)

39 - I'm above average :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom