"Average" amount of time a new diver can expect from an HP100 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

47 mins off a 100cf tank is about average.

Average for whom? That's not average for the divers I see here- it's rare that divers do a 47min dive with an AL80 filled to 3000psi with an average depth of say 12m or 36ft. Again- this is not supposed to be a dig.

If you're maxing out at 30-40ft, breathing that much gas in 47mins takes quite an effort IME

Using 2700 psi out of an HP100 is about 81 cubic feet of gas -- doing that in 47 minutes at 2 ATA is what, a SAC rate of about .9 or so? That's not at all unusual for a novice diver.

As one becomes more stable, better trimmed, and quieter and more relaxed in the water, that will generally fall some, but how much will depend a lot on how big the diver is.

I will assume that the poster meant an average depth of 30ft which makes sense. Apologies. I read it as a maximum depth which didn't make sense to me.

I'd say you will probably average a 1 cuft per min SAC as a new diver......as you get more experianced and lose the anxiety pertaining to diving, your SAC will improve ALOT. I could typically get a 30 min bottom time and a 50 min total run time off that tank on a 115' dive. You will get there eventually.

Keep diving, keep having fun....See you on the bottom

Tom

I have been diving with HP100 for about 2 years now and I am usually very good on Air and my G/F will use a lot more air than I do but I think i'm just more relaxed than her when we dive with that being said. Different divers breath differently. Your own body, physical condition, and how muchyour moving, how fast your swimming, Tempeture of water, if there is a current etc. will all impact your SAC rate. Doing a multi-level dive I dove to a max depth of 66' I did an 1hr 29min and ended with 500PSI. If I am doing shallow dives 30' or less I easily get two 1hr dives out of one tank.

Example of shallow dive I did: I started with 2518psi and ended with 1342psi max depth was 20' which we stayed about whole dive and we did a 54min dive

These are cold water dives with drysuit. with a bottom Temp of 56F for the deeper one and a warmer nicer 67F for the shallower dive

Last edited:
Thanks. I CAN get HP fills, they just told me that I had to do the "modification" to the tank......What does that involve?

It probably involves your giving them more $$$ or finding a new shop.

With respect to all prior posters, there is no "average" time on a given size tank and fill that is really meaningful. Use varies with conditions (temperature, current ), activity ( movement, tasks ) personal physiology ( lung capacity, efficiency) and non-physical variations ( adrenalin rush, anxiety level, experience level, current physical condition, etc.) That is why it is important to log every dive, including air consumption information. You create your own dtat base of information about YOU which is very useful for dive planning. That is also why you should monitor your gas supply regularly until you have a good chart of useage under varying conditions. And then you should still monitor your supply. Your consumption rate should decrease with experience, but not on a straight decline. Lots of variables involved on every dive. As for dive planning, both my wife and I (we usually dive aluminum 80's ) have long ago gotten to the point where gas consumption rates ( absent strong current or very shallow dives) are such that ndl's are met long before breathing gas is low enough to dictate ascent. We still monitor our breathing gas closely. It's a good habit.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom