These are the tank options I'm considering - which should I go with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

rverma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, long time lurker, but first time poster.

I'm a new sidemount diver, but I have drank the kool-aid and I'm fully embracing it. I have the stealth tec 2.0 and currently dive sidemount mainly in cold water with a drysuit year round.

I don't own my own tanks yet but I'd like to get some so I can have them on hand and go diving on a whim, buy a reversed tank valve and permanently mount the tank bands. I know that steels are preferred for drysuit diving, but used steels are very hard to come by in my area (Vancouver Island, BC, Canada). Here are the options and associated costs in CAD:

1) Faber LP85 - $450 each new +tax
2) Faber HP100 - $500 each new +tax
3) OMS (Faber) LP 112 - $250 each. Made in 1999 but have current hydro and vis
4) Worthington HP X7-100 - slim chance to get them, found on facebook but owner hasn't replied. First and last hydro in 2011. I've read good things about these, would consider if sold for $250ish.
5) AL80s - freely available. I'm the equipment manager for my dive club and don't pay for tank rentals or fills.

In my lurking, I have discovered that the LP85s are the preferred option for their buoyancy characteristics. However, I like that the HP100 has the same diameter as the AL80s. The extra gas is a bonus as well. If I go with new steels, for an extra ~$50, I'm thinking "why not?" I'm not extremely concerned about the extra on-land weight of the LP112, but they have a diameter of 8" and I haven't found any instances where people have commented on their use for sidemount. They're mainly in the running due to cost, and that I could potentially fill them with a modest overfill (maybe 3000ish) myself if I wanted.

I don't mind spending money on new tanks, but saving money is always nice as long as it doesn't result in having to replace the equipment.

Are either of those used steels a good option? Should I spend money on new steels? Or just continue to use free AL80s?
Thanks!

I'm usually around 26-28 lbs in my single tank setup (drysuit+undergarments), so I've been going with 32-34 in my sidemount setup with AL80s. I need to do a proper end of dive weight check because I think I can likely shave some weight, but either way, the central pocket isn't big enough on the stealth. Using a weight belt is too much bulk around the hips and the harness doesn't sit properly, so reaching the dump valve becomes impossible.

In a use case where one is diving AL80s AND a drysuit necessitating extra lead, is the best course of action to get some trim pockets and affix those to the waist band of the harness itself?

you should be able to get 26lbs in the spine pouch and you shouldn't need any more than in your single tank setup if your suit and undergarments are the same. You may need a couple of extra pounds somewhere but xDeep makes trim pockets for the unit but I would try with the fully loaded spine pouch and see how you feel. While the comments about the extra lead are valid and HP100's are technically better tanks from a total rig weight perspective, I'm not convinced they are actually "better" in practice unless you actually need the extra gas. Very different than in backmount

The sidemount divers I know choose tanks based on planned dives. I know one that loves lp50's for shore and switches to 100's for deep boat stuff. Another loves 133's.

I'm a new sidemount diver, but I have drank the kool-aid and I'm fully embracing it. I have the stealth tec 2.0 and currently dive sidemount mainly in cold water with a drysuit year round.

I don't own my own tanks yet but I'd like to get some so I can have them on hand and go diving on a whim, buy a reversed tank valve and permanently mount the tank bands. I know that steels are preferred for drysuit diving, but used steels are very hard to come by in my area (Vancouver Island, BC, Canada). Here are the options and associated costs in CAD:

4) Worthington HP X7-100 - slim chance to get them, found on facebook but owner hasn't replied. First and last hydro in 2011. I've read good things about these, would consider if sold for $250ish.
5) AL80s - freely available. I'm the equipment manager for my dive club and don't pay for tank rentals or fills.

In my lurking, I have discovered that the LP85s are the preferred option for their buoyancy characteristics. However, I like that the HP100 has the same diameter as the AL80s. The extra gas is a bonus as well. If I go with new steels, for an extra ~$50, I'm thinking "why not?" I'm not extremely concerned about the extra on-land weight of the LP112, but they have a diameter of 8" and I haven't found any instances where people have commented on their use for sidemount. They're mainly in the running due to cost, and that I could potentially fill them with a modest overfill (maybe 3000ish) myself if I wanted.

I don't mind spending money on new tanks, but saving money is always nice as long as it doesn't result in having to replace the equipment.

Are either of those used steels a good option? Should I spend money on new steels? Or just continue to use free AL80s?
Thanks!
Hey Dude,

I'm up in Campbell River, come hang out with us and do some sidemount stuff at Argo Wharf.
Most of us here are either diving AL80s or LP85s. Most do not want to be lugging HP100s around on the rocky beaches. I'm a little different, I dive LP72s (got them for $50 each soooooo....) but they basically dive like AL80s.

Really, anything bigger than the 100s is unnecessary around here, especially if you're getting free fills with the dive club. Even with the Deco dives that we are doing the LP72s have been fine. You're really just playing around with the weight for buoyancy. In a tri-lam, I'm using 22lbs of weight with the 72s, most are using about the same with the AL80s.

you should be able to get 26lbs in the spine pouch and you shouldn't need any more than in your single tank setup if your suit and undergarments are the same. You may need a couple of extra pounds somewhere but xDeep makes trim pockets for the unit but I would try with the fully loaded spine pouch and see how you feel. While the comments about the extra lead are valid and HP100's are technically better tanks from a total rig weight perspective, I'm not convinced they are actually "better" in practice unless you actually need the extra gas. Very different than in backmount
100% agree with this.

There is no such thing as great deals on used steel. 😂
I'm starting with sidemount also and called around dive shops to ask if they're looking to move inventory. Picked up two LP85s in really good shape. I paid a bit too close to new price to my liking but they came with recent hydro, VIP and oxygen cleaned. So happy about my find. Now I need two more for 2-dive boat outings! 😬
I sold three OLD sets of LP steel tanks with valves and fresh hydro/nitrox vips for $450-550 recently, as a reference point.

Thanks!

I'm a fairly new sidemount diver in Victoria. Using club (same one I wonder?) AL80s or my own LP72s and HP100s.
For AL80s I need 22-24# depending on garments and what else I'm packing. For reference in BP/W I need 26-28#.
Easiest way to do a weight check in sidemount with neutral tanks is to go somewhere shallow and just breathe off the long hose with that tank on the bottom and the other left on shore before the dive starts.

I would have thought I'd need at least +4 lbs compared to a single tank backmount simply to account for the additional AL80...?

Hey Dude,

I'm up in Campbell River, come hang out with us and do some sidemount stuff at Argo Wharf.
Most of us here are either diving AL80s or LP85s. Most do not want to be lugging HP100s around on the rocky beaches. I'm a little different, I dive LP72s (got them for $50 each soooooo....) but they basically dive like AL80s.

Really, anything bigger than the 100s is unnecessary around here, especially if you're getting free fills with the dive club. Even with the Deco dives that we are doing the LP72s have been fine. You're really just playing around with the weight for buoyancy. In a tri-lam, I'm using 22lbs of weight with the 72s, most are using about the same with the AL80s.
DM me please! The forum won't let me til I make more posts. It would be awesome to have more opportunities to dive with experienced folks!

I'm a fairly new sidemount diver in Victoria. Using club (same one I wonder?) AL80s or my own LP72s and HP100s.
For AL80s I need 22-24# depending on garments and what else I'm packing. For reference in BP/W I need 26-28#.
Easiest way to do a weight check in sidemount with neutral tanks is to go somewhere shallow and just breathe off the long hose with that tank on the bottom and the other left on shore before the dive starts.
I'm in Comox and I'm diving with the military club. I have family in Victoria and my buddy who got me into diving 15 years ago and into sidemount more recently is there as well. DM me your contact info and let's try and link up!

ALU 80s
Cheapest to obtain and own
You don't need more than 2 x 80s for a while and at the prices you listed you can spend that cash on diving and have a good time with maintenance free tanks that are easy to handle.
You are not diving in cold water in a dry suit, are you?

I would have thought I'd need at least +4 lbs compared to a single tank backmount simply to account for the additional AL80...?

once you have the regulator and rigging on there, even empty the AL80's barely float. Since you're in a drysuit, your warmth needs may change a bit as well since the drysuit will expand in different areas with sidemount vs. backmount, especially if you are coming from a jacket bc. Since weight=warmth in a drysuit there is no "magic" number like there is with a wetsuit. If I were you, start with the 26lbs that will fit in the spine pouch and see how it feels. If you feel like you are needing more gas in the suit at the end of the dive and the wing is empty then look at some weight pocket options.
I primarily sidemount LP121's, I will sometimes sidemount 85's but those are always cave filled and it's because I need the gas for the cave diving I'm doing. If I didn't need the gas capacity, AL80's are just so much easier to sidemount and they truly just make everything better, especially if you have free access to them. This is in stark contrast to backmount where the total rig weight disadvantage of AL80's is very real but even though that disadvantage still exists in sidemount, it is offset IMO by how much better/easier the AL80's are in the water vs steels

A lot of this depends on your body type as well. Tom is a big guy and 121's are a good fit for him. If I use those same tanks with zero weight, I'm pinned to the bottom. I'm 160 pounds soaking wet, so you have to experiment and find what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom