Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. It's not hard to get your shots because the blues are not shy at all. They are constantly checking you out and they take their shots bumping your camera with their nose, and sometimes with their pectoral and tail fins. But I found them to be OK and not vicious like Oceanics who will double back the second you take your eyes off of them. If you really want their attention, snorkel above or next to the cage.

The Makos that we saw were rather small - 4 feet or less - which sort of makes sense because they are fished both recreationally and commercially and anything above 4 feet is a keeper. So whereas larger specimens might be aggressive, these ones that we saw were rather wary and skittish: being on the side of the cage closest to where they tease them with the fishhead gets you the best shots.

We chose to not get into the cage but that is a matter of personal preference. If you have a huge dome port, I don't think that you'd be able to shoot thru the cage opening. If you prefer being outside the cage, make sure to tell the Captain when you do the booking and to make sure he has a tank just for you, because their normal protocol is to have two people in the cage at a time with one tank feeding both.

PM me if you want more details or particulars.

Thanks for the thread. I'm thinking of heading out there in September and this is very helpful.
Yes, we are thinking of putting something together for that timeframe as well. There seem to be some great land based activities as well on the islands. If the people and the cuisine are anything like in Portugal, it'll be wonderful for sure.

Hi Bogdan,

my wife and I just returned from the Azores last week and visited both Terceira and Sao Miguel but only dived on Terceira. In all honesty the Azores were not on our immediate radar but found a really inexpensive trip so jumped on during the off season.

We tried two operators there; Arraria Divers and Octopus. Octopus was more experienced and knowledgeable of the area for diving. They were very accommodating and took us to some pretty cool sites. Arraria blew us off one day that we had scheduled with them, so my opinion was soured of them.

Since it was the winter the water was cooler (57 degrees) so my wife and I took dry suits but there were people in wetsuits. Viz is suppose to be spectacular in the summer (100'+) but the winter causes large algae blooms so viz was 35-45', which from where I'm from is awesome anyways. The summer also brings in the larger marine animals.

We will definitely be going back. Check out some of my photos from our trip on my facebook page and fee free to shoot me any questions you have.

Matt Marcoux | Facebook

Best,
Matt Marcoux

Back
Top Bottom