Azores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, we are looking to go to Portugal April/May.... Any thing you recommend diving during those months?Who to book through and which company would be running during that time? I've reached out to one and they said they don't dive in May. I know the best times are June-September :/

Where in Portugal? Continental, Azores or Madeira?

I dived from Faial some years ago and had a wonderful time, blue sharks between Faial and Pico and Mobula Rays galore (I have a photo with around 20 in and that was tiny part of the group!) at Princess Alice Bank (This was in September).

People seem to think that that Faial/Pico are amongst the best and I wouldn't argue.

My dive with the Blue Sharks will be one of my life highlights, let alone diving one!

Flights to Faial from the UK (and presumably other places) go through Lisbon, which is worth a couple of days on the way/back in itself as a mini city break - We only had 1 day there, but it was well worth the visit.

The Azores is one of the few places I've visited that I'd actually like to live, it's such a lovely part of the world, although the locals tell me the weather can get quite grim in the winter.

although the locals tell me the weather can get quite grim in the winter.

Did you tell them you were from England?

Weather in the Azores as in Iceland is 4 seasons in a day.
It can get quite grim in the winter but so does in the UK or continental Portugal.

I did tell them I was from the UK, but I'm from the south, so we don't tend to get hurricanes too often (which we arrived in when we went to Faial!).

The biggest problem people mentioned was 'damp' inside their homes, due to prolonged periods of rain in the winter - I can only go on what various people said (and the fact that it's amazingly, beautifully green!)

Great place to visit though, whether you dive or not (especially if you do, though).

one more place on my list.

Hope to get back there in the near future and visit the other islands. Loved it.

How do your recommendations change earlier in the year? I'm going in late March which I know is before the traditional dive season (didn't have a choice, it's a trip with a non diving family member).

I am not sure dive centers are working in March in Santa Maria.
I know you can dive in Faial/Pico with 7mares/Twin Peaks but probably not with blue sharks or Princesa Alice.
Never been to São Miguel but maybe you can dive the Dori wreck there.
I would confirm with dive centers beforehand for sure before planning some diving in March in the Azores.

Back
Top Bottom