B-17 Wreck near Vis Island, Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. I visit Croatia often, but have never dove in the Adriatic.....it's cold o_O

Nice. I visit Croatia often, but have never dove in the Adriatic.....it's cold o_O
During the sumer the surface is 21-24, bottom around 16-18 celsius, not that bad you can usualy dive in a 7mm suit comfortably, and you are missing out on a lot :)

During the sumer the surface is 21-24, bottom around 16-18 celsius, not that bad you can usualy dive in a 7mm suit comfortably, and you are missing out on a lot :)
We visit Rab....wife is from there. It's too dang cold for me as I don't like cold water nor do I wear a wet suit :facepalm:

Thanks for sharing...very well done.
I checked out your web site too...you have skillz.

any information pertaining to the wreck? She looks to be in rather good shape. Very nice video!

Yes, it's identified as B-17 G serial number 44-6630. It crash landed near the coast of Vis Island (Vis had the half way emergency landing field for bombers coming back to Italy from mainland Europe) on 6. November 1944. (or 7th, the records are not clear). Only one member of the crew was killed and his body was left in the wreck, so the wreck is a war grave and no penetration is allowed. It was discovered in 2002 and because of the great condition of the wreck indentified immediately. It's located 30 meters from the shore at 70 meters depth on the east side of the island, at depth of 65-77 meters I believe. This is the best preserved airplane wreck to day on Vis, and probably in Croatia, the only contender is the looted Stuka wreck near island of Žirje. But I believe there is a chance of that changing very soon, we have 4 confirmed wrecks to check out at the moment, and around 120 possible ones around the island. Add to that the 5 known ones already, and we got a boatload of wrecks around Vis, to bad all the planes are 40+, most 80+ meters deep.

This dive site could be a really good reason to visit Croatia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom