B.C. Dive Trip over Memorial Day Wknd '06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xtrmcdn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have plans for Memorial Day Wknd - heading north! Trying to decide where I want to dive in B.C., and would prefer a multi-day trip.

Thanks,
=) K.

I might be in Vancouver with my family that weekend...it'd be sketchy whether I could get some diving in, since it's a family trip...but I might be able to eek out a morning of diving...

So I wouldn't be participating in a whole trip, but if one happens, and you're in/near Vancouver for any diving...

I'll keep you posted.

Lowell

If you have the time go to Port Hardy, I dont think you can beat it

JUMBO

There are some nice sites out of Victoria, especially if you like wolf eels.
both-eels.JPG

Nanaimo is also an excellent choice. The Saskatchewan is a fun dive as it the Cape Bretton. 2003 Nanaimo Trip Report and Photo Gallery

Finally, I'd like to recommend a stay at Abyssal Dive Lodge. Earl will take you to some spectacular dive sites and Debbie will keep your stomach full of delicious food. I've been there 2 years in a row in February and plan to return again next year. You can read a Trip Report about last years trip or see photos from this year's trip if you are interested.

gorge.jpg
bluestar.jpg
juvenileredfish.jpg

I was thinking about the Sunshine Coast and my dive buddy has reminded me that we need to get up there.

diveborg:
Finally, I'd like to recommend a stay at Abyssal Dive Lodge. Earl will take you to some spectacular dive sites and Debbie will keep your stomach full of delicious food. I've been there 2 years in a row in February and plan to return again next year. You can read a Trip Report about last years trip or see photos from this year's trip if you are interested.

Hi, My wife and I are newbiews with about a dozen carribean dives OW in Roatan last year and St Croix this year. We were going to be in Vancouver Island doing a grizzly bear / Orca / visit relatives thing and I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the great diving I have heard about.
We signed up with Earl & Abyssal and are looking forward to a couple of days of diving with them in a couple of weeks (Early September).
I noticed on your trip report that everyone wears dry suits. We will be renting equipment, but since we haven't even done wet suits yet, do you think it would be better to start out with wet suits rather than dry suits? It will be tough enough re-establishing bouyancy with the extra weight and all as well as gloves and hoods. Previous dives for me were with BCD, reg, octo, weight, tank, mask, fins and swim shorts.. no skin or wetsuit.
With 4 dives in the 2 days, do I really have the time to learn dry suit before I can enjoy the dives? Oh.. I also want to take pictures with my canon set-up and a new strobe. I don't expect to bring the camera on the first dive and Earl did say we would start off slow. I am paying for an experienced guide as well.
Your trip report just cemented my feeling that this was going to be a great place to dive.

Thanks!

Will be diving with Earl on the long weekend in September.

This is a tough question. The dives I have been on at Quadra island were not dives for the inexperienced. Drift dives in current. Managing a camera, a dry suit and the first time in cold water and currents pushing you around sounds like more than I would want to assimilate on a single dive.

Would probably go with the wetsuit. You can only get a couple dives a day so lots of time to warm back up and get ready for the next dive. Drysuit is pretty simple, but why add the extra learning when you could be enjoying the dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom