Back In The Water After One Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labaum

Registered
Reaction score
On April 18, 2007 (last year)I posted the following;
On Sunday April 1, at age 58, I suffered a heart attack. (Ironically, I went diving that Saturday. Did the first dive, didn't feel well, and skipped the second).
Long story short, I now have stents in my left anterior descending and proximal right coronary artery and went through an ablation for supraventricular tachycardia.
While I've been told that this dive season is scrubbed (I keep telling my wife that I'm going to dive next month, but stay within a hundred feet. She doesn't see the humor, I'm afraid), I was wondering if through proper exercise (I was in pretty good shape to begin with), successful recovery, and favorable stress tests if I might be able to dive again next year?
Much thanks.

First of all, many thanks to the Forum members who responded not only with words of encouragement, but also with sound medical advice and counsel.
I followed that advice (to the letter), as well as the course set for me by my medical professionals.
Thankfully, I had already quit smoking a few years back, but over this past year I've lost 20 pounds, changed my diet, completed cardio rehab, joined a gym, worked out every day (well, most days), taken my meds religiously, and generally tried to reshape my life.
I would never say that a heart attack is a good thing, but in my case it did help me turn my life around.
Earlier this month I asked my doctor if I could dive again.
Before clearing me for diving he put me through the ringer, insisting on near perfect test results including the now famous (for me) 13 METS standard.
On Easter morning (how fitting?) I was back in the South Florida waters on the Starfish Enterprise diving the Captain Tony wreck and Tumbled Rocks reef.
They were the best dives of my life.
Tomorrow makes one year since last year's April Fools surprise and I'm scheduled back in the water on April 12.
It's good to be back.

Man Labaum, that was a great read! I love hearing health/fitness success stories like that, where a person takes charge and makes changes for the better. It's empowering.
Living like you were dying are you ? :)
Spencer

What a great thread to open and read! Glad that you took your lemons and made lemon chiffon pie out of them. Welcome back into the water!

What a great success story! Welcome back. Let us know how the dives go.

Welcome back. Although I did not have a heart attach, eight years ago at age 54 I had to have three bypasses done. I stay in shape and have a stress test every year and can do 17 to 19 METS. Keep up the good work.

On April 18, 2007 (last year)I posted the following;
On Sunday April 1, at age 58, I suffered a heart attack. (Ironically, I went diving that Saturday. Did the first dive, didn't feel well, and skipped the second).
Long story short, I now have stents in my left anterior descending and proximal right coronary artery and went through an ablation for supraventricular tachycardia.
While I've been told that this dive season is scrubbed (I keep telling my wife that I'm going to dive next month, but stay within a hundred feet. She doesn't see the humor, I'm afraid), I was wondering if through proper exercise (I was in pretty good shape to begin with), successful recovery, and favorable stress tests if I might be able to dive again next year?
Much thanks.

First of all, many thanks to the Forum members who responded not only with words of encouragement, but also with sound medical advice and counsel.
I followed that advice (to the letter), as well as the course set for me by my medical professionals.
Thankfully, I had already quit smoking a few years back, but over this past year I've lost 20 pounds, changed my diet, completed cardio rehab, joined a gym, worked out every day (well, most days), taken my meds religiously, and generally tried to reshape my life.
I would never say that a heart attack is a good thing, but in my case it did help me turn my life around.
Earlier this month I asked my doctor if I could dive again.
Before clearing me for diving he put me through the ringer, insisting on near perfect test results including the now famous (for me) 13 METS standard.
On Easter morning (how fitting?) I was back in the South Florida waters on the Starfish Enterprise diving the Captain Tony wreck and Tumbled Rocks reef.
They were the best dives of my life.
Tomorrow makes one year since last year's April Fools surprise and I'm scheduled back in the water on April 12.
It's good to be back.

========================================

I started a thread a month or so ago (now dormant) entitled "Diving after a Heart Attack" about the little surprise I had on March 2nd of this year (2008). I'm 58 and like you, I walked away with stents in my LAD and a rather long list of medications. One big difference though is that my left ventricular ejection fraction was low enough that they strongly urged me to get an implanted defibrillator (ICD), which I did on March 13th.

My wife and I had a dive trip (liveaboard) scheduled for late May, which we have since cancelled.

I am in my 4th week of rehab and like you, I take my meds regularly. I'm a ways off of even attempting the "13 Met Challenge" but know that it lurks out on the horizon. At the moment I am progressing well and exercise endurance is growing at a steady pace.

I know that every case is different and I may never get wet again ...but your thread definitely gives me hope. I am a pretty determined person and don't mind spending the next 11 months or so putting my best efforts into getting back in shape. I was in great shape prior to the heart attack (don't smoke, good diet and very active), which is to my advantage but I still have to do the work !!

Thanks so much for sharing your story. It hit me square in the kisser and I only hope that a year or so from I can update my thread with similar good news. I truly want to dive again ...even if they put depth restrictions on me.

Please PM me if you have any specific information you think might be of help to me.

'Slogger

Back
Top Bottom