Back inflate questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am open to any and all comments, I am here to learn and thank you. I know how hard suggestions can be over the internet.

I am hoping to have friend that dives going with us this weekend.

I am really leaning toward the BP/W. If I understand right there is little functional difference between back inflate and BP/W other then you can really customize the BP/W. Is that a true statement?

I will have to try the roll to the side this time too. On further inspection I did find a bottom dump though. It was on the left hand (vs all the others I have seen on the right) and it was on the inside vs outside (like I have seen on the others).

I am really leaning toward the BP/W. If I understand right there is little functional difference between back inflate and BP/W other then you can really customize the BP/W. Is that a true statement?
It is true that the BP allows for greater customization, of fit, of placement of the D-rings, etc. I would add to the 'difference' just a bit. One additional aspect of a BP/W is that it is usually inherently more negative / less positive than a more traditional BCD (irrespective of whether it is back-inflate or jacket) and therefore you require less weight on a belt or in the weight / trim pockets. A stainless steel backplate weighs ~ 6 pounds, and the webbing for the harness makes at most a trivial contribution to buoyancy. In contrast, most soft BCDs are inherently positive, and the more padding and material they have, the more positive they are, adding to the weight requirement.
I will have to try the roll to the side this time too.
Give it a try and see if it works for you. Remember, roll to your right, not your left. :) I emphasize this, not to be condescending, but because when I first recommended that technique to my wife, she kept rolling to her left (even though she knew I said 'right') and couldn't understand why she couldn't vent gas. Also, it is primarily useful to vent modest amounts of air.
On further inspection I did find a bottom dump though. It was on the left hand (vs all the others I have seen on the right) and it was on the inside vs outside (like I have seen on the others).
That is good to hear. As I said, it would be uncommon for a BCD bladder to not have a bottom dump somewhere. I admit that I prefer a butt dump on the right side as well. For some reason, my left hand prefers the feel of my inflator hose. It may be because I am right-handed. Let us know how the weekend goes. If you decide to go BP/W, there are A LOT of SB folks who will offer thoughts on which brand / model etc.

Well, the main differences between a BP/W and a back-inflate BC are that:

1. The backplate system will have a plate. Back inflate BCs may have a plastic plate of varying size, or may just have stiff fabric to hold the tank.

2. The wing portion of a backplate can be separately selected, and changed to fit the purpose.

3. All backplates of which I am aware will permit the use of two cambands. Some back-inflate BCs do not. (I prefer two for additional safety and stability.)

4. Backplate systems permit the selection of different types of harnesses, although most people end up using the simple continuous webbing type. That type also permits the placement of D-rings where they are convenient and in the number wished by the diver.

5. Backplate systems require the acquisition of some type of weight system, whether that is pouches on the cambands, a weight belt, a weight harness, or something like the Halcyon ACB pockets that thread on.

6. Backplate users need to figure out where to store items -- pockets on exposure protection are popular, but you can also put a pocket on the waist belt.

7. Backplate systems come apart for cleaning, storage, and travel packing.

Thanks so much for the help so far. Things are staring to clear up more.

For 7mm wetsuit + 7mm outer (when not diving in drysuit) I require 30 lbs with AL 80 in fresh water and 5 lbs less when diving steel. I weight 175 and consider myself in very good shape. I drop that weight down to 16.5 lbs when diving a 7mm wetsuit. I guess the rules of thumb contained in the PADI Adventure manual used for AOW never considered folks having to wear an additional 7mm layer on top of their wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom