Back Inflation vs Vest Style BCDs - Diving Maluku

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I am going to probably step in a few horse piles here. But a somewhat serious question. What is the significant difference between a BP/W and a back inflate BCD? Everyone always seems to say that BP/W is this holy grail of equipment, but I dive a litehawk and actually love it. its comfortable with its padding (I use a LP steel 100) and it has just enough clips for me to get what I need attached (I dont miss the pockets at all from the jacket style I used in training). What am I missing out on a BP/W?

I use both depending on what and where I'm diving. Waiting to try the new mini backplate but I don't see any real challenges swapping between the two. Admittedly I only use my old Dacor jacket in cooler waters at home with steel tanks because it just feels a little more 'solid' but travelling I use back inflate. Never had to stop and think, I need to do this or that because one or the other, just familiarity with both has become second nature

I certainly hope that this was not written by a dive pro..too many unsafe statements here to mention..never put air in bcd to ascend, it is not an elevator. Diver should be neutrally buoyant and simply swim up, releasing air from bcd to control ascent.
This is exactly what my instructor told me

never put air in bcd to ascend, it is not an elevator. Diver should be neutrally buoyant and simply swim up, releasing air from bcd to control ascent.
I don't have any problem with adding a small puff of air to my wing to start my ascent instead of swimming up. I adjust my suit and wing all the time, in small increments, so why not start my ascent the same way?

That said, I usually prefer using my lungs rather than my wing for that initial small ascent, and one should always control one's buoyancy so that the ascent is totally controlled. So, when I'm getting light, it's time to start slowly dumping to avoid that Boyle takes control.

What is the significant difference between a BP/W and a back inflate BCD?
The BP/W is modular. Need a bigger or smaller bladder? Get a bigger or smaller wing. Going from a single to twinset? Get a wing made for twins. Not happy with the location of the D-rings? Just move them. Want another D-ring? Buy one and put it on your harness. Want more non-ditchable weight? Buy some and fix it to the plate. With a non-BP/W back inflate, all those things are fixed.

It's great for those of us who like to tinker with our gear. However the flexibility of a BP/W also means that the owner has to make some choices and has to know a little abut what they want. So it won't necessarily be the best solution for everyone.

The BP/W is modular. Need a bigger or smaller bladder? Get a bigger or smaller wing. Going from a single to twinset? Get a wing made for twins. Not happy with the location of the D-rings? Just move them. Want another D-ring? Buy one and put it on your harness. Want more non-ditchable weight? Buy some and fix it to the plate. With a non-BP/W back inflate, all those things are fixed.

It's great for those of us who like to tinker with our gear. However the flexibility of a BP/W also means that the owner has to make some choices and has to know a little abut what they want. So it won't necessarily be the best solution for everyone.

Makes sense. Sounds like I overall lucked out in so far that the Litehawk has attach points where I need them and I dont see a huge need to customize that aspect of it. Maybe it will change down the road, but for now I am more than comfortable and happy with it. Sounds like the difference is buying a suit off the rack vs custom and I happened to find one that fit nearly perfectly for me off the rack.

I switched to BP&W not so much for the tech aspect but because it is kinda like a tailored suit. It just fits so much better. So it seems more comfortable. And I feel more in control of my body posture. So everything seems easier to me

Agreed. The BP/W i demoed (which was my instrcutors) was definitely more comfortable than any jacket ive worn (he has a bin of various sized jacket BCD's he gives to trainees).

The BP/W is modular.

It also has a different weight placement and less inherent buoyancy than most other jackets.

And it looks way cooler. :cool:

The OP makes me laugh. He sounds like one of the folks who would think I should have drowned using a BP/W in my OW class. I'm still here! Haven't drowned yet! :D
In OP's defense, he does not know extent of your survival skills. You shot the **** out of water, there is no way poor water will come anywhere near you to drown you.:poke:

I've always used a jacket with no problems. Maybe my diving is just too simple (it IS simple, but lots of time very shallow, which is--well, should be-- harder re buoyancy)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom