Back pain during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had lower back issues when I first started diving. After evaluating my gear I had found that by BC wasnt rigid enough and would allow the bottom of the tank to rest on my lower back. When I went to a BP/W the problem went away.

I am assuming this to be lower back pain. I have a bad back (lower) so the following is what I have found.
Use smaller weights evenly distributed on belt (avoid the larger hip hugger weights like the plague). If the BC is weight integrated put some of the lead into the weight pockets, if not weight integrated still put some lead into the pockets (as non ditchable lead).
With a thick wetsuit alot of lead will be required which tends to bend your back into a U. The wetsuit will rapidly compress as you go down. by getting some lead off the belt and onto the BC as you add air to the BC to compensate, the BC will be supporting the weight and not your lower back.

maybe it is due to the 50LB in weights that you have to wear in order to sink down with that 10mm suit.

Here is my suggestion on diving a 10-mm wetsuit: Dont. Just don't.

Depending on where they are diving a 10mm suit might be needed. Drysuits can require alot of lead as well and are horribly expensive. Perhaps you have not experienced cold water (35-30)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom