Back pain/ Solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have lower back discomfort in general, which is amplified into being pain by conducting multiple consecutive dives. (Resultant from single traumatic injury accompanied by repetitive stress injury) The rest of my aches and pains are generally reduced or eliminated while I am under… so I will definitely NOT give up diving.

I am trying to figure out the best way to alleviate this back pain.

I have noticed I tend to arch my back while I am diving such that it is concave. This occurred both when I was utilizing back mount, and now that I am utilizing side-mount. Neglecting the carried-over back discomfort, I am greatly pleased utilizing a side-mount configuration, especially since I can take my tanks to the waterline separately, clip in and slip into the water; no having to carry the tanks on my back at anytime.

I think that if I provide support to align my spine, particularly my lumbar spine, I may have less discomfort.

I originally used all rental jacket style BC with a weight belt…

Then a Dive Rite Transpace II with weight pouches set up for a single back mount..

I am currently using a Dive Rite Transpac II harness with their Venture wing. In fresh water I usually utilize 4-10 pounds of weight in the add-on Dive Rite weight pouches. In warm salt water, I got away with 3 pounds do to reduction in thermal protection buoyancy.

I was considering purchasing a steel back plate, thinking that if I had a hard plate, it might help keep my back aligned… Although I am not sure how effective the standard back plate would be at providing support for my back.

I found a freedive website that discusses making a custom molded back splint to help alleviate arching of the back and therefore reduce lower back pain.

http://www.freedive.net/back_brace/back_brace.htm

Thinking along these lines, it would be possible for me to take an impression of my entire back, and then to make a positive mold. From this mold, I could lay up a composite back plate covering my entire back from shoulder down through lumbar to hips, possibly even inlaying additional aluminum support ribs and/or single tank adapter.

I could also incorporate metallic inserts with holes, slots and/or SS rings for the attachment of a harness and wing.

Any thoughts?

Thank you everyone for your opinions and ideas!

Take care,
Scott

Hmm, I have back pain also, partly from injury and partly as a result of a mild deformity, curved spine. I have to be careful with lifting weight.

I have back packed (hiking) for many miles with way more weight than a scuba tank but quality back packing packs carry the weight on your hips--on your HIPS--not shoulders!!

I wonder if you could devise a BP with a cumberbund that would transfer your weight to your hips--while out of the water. Also, I am sure you have seen those back supports many companies like UPS for example make their employees wear. Perhaps you could incorporate one of those into your BP or something similar.

Me--oh---no worries--I am tough as nails, the way I will know that I am dead is that it won't hurt no more---lol--

Oh, concerning the weight belt I see you mention transferring that weight to your BP from your weight belt. Is that smart? Your hips don't hurt but your back does so you took weight from your hips and put it on your back----huh???

Hope you come to a solution. Good luck.

N

So what you need is a combination of a rucksack / backpack and a SS / Aluminum plate for the tank and wing.
I suspect that all you need is
1. An extension at the bottom of the plate to bring it down to a cross piece at your hips similar to a rucksack.
2. An extension at the top to spread the load across both shoulder blades.
3. A filler piece to shape between the plate and the small of your back, this may not be necessary or even desirable.

Any good metal machine shop should be able to do this with some experimentation.

You would need an example back plate with all the slots, holes etc for a harness, wing and tank fittings.
An example rucksack/backpack with the support you find comfortable that can be cut up.
Some calculations will be necessary to decide the material and thickness for the various components. I think I would use aluminum and then add weights as required afterwards.
To avoid chaffing I would cover the parts that touch you with 3mm neoprene or similar.

As to what this would cost. The materials nothing significant, the labor could be anything. It would not be economic as a business proposition however if it allows you to dive comfortably then it would be money well spent.

I had major back problems for almost 18 months. Multiple hernias, degenerative discs... you name it. I went to several doctors, physiotherapists and massage therapists. I did end up having a surgery as my L5 disc was sort of folded which explains why it kept coming out every 2 months or so. However, had I known how to listen to my body, chances are I would've saved myself that torture or at least delayed it.

You mentioned lower back which is what I have. Lumbar and sacral mainly. First, look at a skeletal model. Notice how the back is naturally supposed to curve. When I had back pain, I would try to stretch in odd ways to aliviate the pain. What I did was end up almost reversing the natural curvature of my spine. Second, really pay attention to what movements aggravate the pain. I used to feel the pain right in my lower back, but I had always noticed a clicking sound in my hip where my right leg met the hip. After months of this I started doing a stretch where I basically sat upright with a pillow between my legs and when I squeezed together, I felt and heard one or several pops in my hip (similar to the clicking sound). I noticed immediate relief in the pain in my lower back. What I came to realize was that the muscles and tendons that go around the hip (flexors) sometimes get caught on the different parts of the hip as it's not perfectly smooth. These muscles were connected to the base of the spine and when they got pulled out of place or got inflammated, they pulled the back out of position. One muscle in particular, the piriformis (google it), when it gets inflammed can press on the sciatic nerve (as it is right next to the nerve) mimicking the pain of a hernia (called piriformis syndrome). This may not be your particluar problem, but it may help and at least can be used as an example to pay attention to what your body tells you and hopefully find your own solution.

As for the relief when you're underwater, I know what you mean about the relief. I used to use that as a form of therapy, and it felt great! To my non-professional opinion, you may have herniated or bulging discs or at least inflammed muscles near sensitive nerves in the area if they are relieved though when under pressure. Advil works for minor stuff and take it easy when stuff flares up. Also, try to keep your abs tight when bending or lifting...

I also have had minor back surgery (disc decompression) and felt like I couldn't do anything I loved motorcycling, diving. I will tell you that the surgery went fine but the best thing I found was a Chiropractor who uses a DVX machine to stretch the vertabrea out and let the cushions reform. It was like magic. You should look into finding one in your area. http://www.extentrac.com/doctors/index.php is a site that talks about it. And the nasty E word. excersize

I feel for you – three spinal surgery’s for me, with the last being the removal of the disc at L5/S1 and replacing it with a Titanium band and a fusion of Titanium and cadaver bone…..oh yeah, I know back pain. Started when I was 17 – I am now 37 and still dealing with it.

After a couple consecutive dives I get pain due to back arching – understand, L5/S1 is real low in the back and a fusion is the bolting together of two vertebrae which now move as one – or for that fact, don’t move. So arching the back beats the piss out of the area’s above and below this point as they must bend twice what they should to compensate. I quickly learned that prior to diving I pop 2 Aleve’s or an equivalent – it really helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom