back plate and wings vs BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on my way wanda

Registered
Reaction score
Again I need some advice as with figuring out which dive computer to go with, I have another dilemma, I am considering getting a back plate and wings, not for tech. diving but to stream line and to get weight off my weight belt. Plus I was considering in purchasing a steel tank to help get weight off my belt as well. Currently I need 34-36 lbs of lead in a drysuit but it depends on which underwear I use then my weight changes by a few lbs. I do not associate back plate and wings with just tech diving, I just like the look of a back plate and wings in the water.
I am not sure of all my changes as being very drastic for a diver, who has less then 100 dives under her belt. What do you think??? :confused:

It takes sometime to get use to a backplate and wing system but i think in time you will find it to be a much better system. A traditional stainless backplate will be 6lbs add to that a steel tank and you could be as much as -16lbs. You can also double up back plates or have a custom plate heavier plate made.

Steve.

I doubt you would regret it at all regardless of how many dives you have.

Call me a recent convert. I have watched people I know whom I consider more or less fish in the water in the gear they have to use with open water students, (namely standard rec gear), using their bp/wing systems and if it's at all possible they look 10x more fluid and trimmed again.

Don't hold your breath for me to be stirring up a batch of tainted grape cool-aide but damn these things are comfortable and solid.

London...There's a few shops down that way. Perhaps one of them would let you rent one to try in the pool if they do them in rentals. I'm sure just one dive will be enough to convince you. :)

Wanda, I switched (blind - bought one without trying first :wink: ) after <25 dives total and dropped a LOT of weight from the belt - not just the 6# for the SS BP but all the weight that was required to sink the positively-bouyant BCs I had been using. It does take some time to get used to diving it - about 10 min, discounting my initially 'sticky' deflator. YMMV. Added bonus - on the surface, inflate the wing, flip onto your back and it's like being in one of those floating lounge chairs - all it needs is a place for a cold drink :D

Main negative thing was that the shop up here in T-Bay is highly allergic to anything even remotely "techhie" or Kool-Aid flavoured and gave me a hard time at first (mostly about the hoses). You shouldn't have this problem where you are - lots of BP/wings divers.

The only other negative thing I have found is that it can be a bit tricky to lend your system out as the harness needs to be adjusted to the diver. This can be seen as a positive thing if you don't like lending gear out (unlike the generous-minded Boogie here).

you will not regret it... and forgive me being a little touchy here, but Koolaide? People have been diving this way for a long. long time... before Koolaid was invented :)

Anyhow, couple of tips... The Blackplate and single piece webbing will last you for years and are standard... for recreational and technical, they are the same. Wings will vary. Buy a set of wings that will work with your tank(s). There are a couple of manufacturer's whose products are great and robust. Not sure how you dive but something in the range of 27 pounds of lift may suffice. If you are diving a large-volumn steel tanks and carrying cameras and such, you might want a 36. Doubles (which sounds unlikely) and you need wings with 55 pounds of lift...

Try to get into bpw kit in a pool or shallow still water with someone who knows how to help you adjust. Work at it. You will not look back... cheaper too!

Doppler once bubbled...
you will not regret it... and forgive me being a little touchy here, but Koolaide? People have been diving this way for a long. long time... before Koolaide was invented :)

There are a couple of manufacturer's whose products are great and robust.

Kool-Aid invented in 1920 so I doubt that:

Click me please and gracias...

Synonyms for Robust:

Healthy, Vigorous, Hearty, Full-Bodied, Strong, Tough, Forceful, Stout

I am enjoying the wing none the less. :eek:ut:

d33ps1x once bubbled...

Kool-Aid invented in 1920 so I doubt that:

Click me please and gracias...

Synonyms for Robust:

Healthy, Vigorous, Hearty, Full-Bodied, Strong, Tough, Forceful, Stout

I am enjoying the wing none the less. :eek:ut:

My apologies, I thought your reference to cool-aid [sic] was actually a reference to something 'invented' in the mid 1990s.

All dive gear should be Strong, Tough, Stout and Full-bodied don't you find?

=-) Phew! Is this enough of a highjack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom