Back roll entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I really prefer the back roll entry over the giant stride as you don't have to walk across the deck in all that gear - even tho it easier to lose your mask on the back roll. One of these divers found a new risk.

The opening statement on the clip referring to this as "freediving," references that these are breath-hold divers, not scuba divers with Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus - but has nothing to do with how the divers are leaving the boat. A back roll is about the same for a freediver as a scuba diver.

I had to pack the little 349 Kb clip in a zip file to attach - doesn't take long to downlaod, open and play, or just click it and select open, then play.

Attachments

• Back roll entry.zip
    321 KB · Views: 230
Ouch! That would definitely be an "Oh crap!" moment.

I think that would be more of a risk with scuba as you have more hanging off you in the way of gear more that can get caught\:confused:

Just for the reason that CharlesR stated....Looks staged, but worth the effort.

A free diver with a crotch strap... and a suspender set-up?

Looks like a good way for a freediver to drown if the boat crew didn't find a knife quickly. As a scuba diver, I may have had 100# more weight so would have hit me harder, but at least I'd have an air supply.

I have made only 2 back roll entry. One during OW, and one off a very small boat. My sister wanted me to do a back roll of a large boat, but I was too chicken.

In your opinion, is height a factor in the back roll entry. And how high is too high?

fisherdvm:
I have made only 2 back roll entry. One during OW, and one off a very small boat. My sister wanted me to do a back roll of a large boat, but I was too chicken.

In your opinion, is height a factor in the back roll entry. And how high is too high?

I don't mind doing back rolls from a couple of yards (or meters), it just gives me more free fall time to correct any problems I find along the way or remember I left my mask on board. :D Of course, I'm tough as woodpecker lips and too ignorant to be afraid of many things.

I prefer giant stride if it's about 8-10 feet or more. I did a back roll off of a sailboat in Curacao that was at least 6-8 feet with no problems. Just time your rotation using your Mark I Internal Gaugomatic Flipmeter to land squarely on your back/tank and not on your head ,face or belly flop.

My first backward roll entry came early in my dive career (about 20 dives) off Grand Cayman. I too was a little chicken about trying new things when asked by the DM if I wanted to roll in. To this day I will never forget the sweet grandmotherly voice of a 76 year old English women named Genie utter these words "I'll show you how to do it, Jim" in front of everyone on the boat before she plunked in the water.
And that's how I was embarassed into doing my first backward roll, which by the way is now my favored entry when possible.
Just remember not to over rotate and hold your mask strap onto the back of your head, they tend to ride up when you hit the water.
Safe diving, Jim

talonraid:
Just time your rotation using your Mark I Internal Gaugomatic Flipmeter to land squarely on your back/tank and not on your head ,face or belly flop.

lol... I prefer backward roll but my Flipmeter is only rated to about 1 yard/meter.

I don't think there is any higher risk of stuff getting caught; I've seen many a dangling octo or console get hooked on the transome during a giant stride. I do take care to ensure everything is where its supposed to be but that's routine dive prep. The only 'roll' specific task is to ensure that there will be no barriers to a safe entry. Given the chance, Murphy will ensure that some diver will swim behind you just as you intend to roll. Simplest solution is to roll while the first person is shuffling their way to the stern:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom