Back up dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the important time to have a backup computer is when your perceived value of missing a dive (or several) exceeds the $ value of a backup computer. Additionally I think you should always have backup gauges (if your diving with an ai computer), either 2 ai computers or ai computer and analog gauges. That said, if you are recording your dives in your logbook and you have a computer failure, you could use tables to do your next dive (I'll admit that I'm lazy in that regard and fill in my logbook when I get home).

This has all been very informative. The reason I asked is because I bought a zoop wrist top with my first set of gear and I bought a brand new veo 180 also wrist mount for $50 from my friend who has more crap than any one person could ever need.

Also I dive with spg's not ai computers as you can tell by the models of computers I have.

We're going on our first liveaboard vacation in April. The economics and disappointment factors compelled me to gear up with back up computers. So for Christmas we both got Oceanic Atom 2.0's to back up our Oceanic consoles.
We don't do many square profile dives so to me computers are the way to go. For example: Dive tables say 20 minutes for a 100 fsw dive. With a computer I get 35 or more minutes following the bottom contour down and slowly back up with a stop at 50 ft and then a normal safety stop. Air to spare...

As a dive guide,I dive with two computers,Suunto wrist & Uwatec tec tri/console. Two main reasons:(1) in case one quits (2) NDL tracking of two different gases. I have customers using air & nitrox on the same dive.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I tell students to equate their need for a dive computer with that of their GPS. If you cant make it out of your neighborhood without the voice of the nice British lady on the Garmin you should really look into investing in a dive computer and take it on every dive.

If you know what an Atlas is and can read a map then you've probably got that whole tables thing under control and while a dive computer is helpful and gives real-time data, you could manage without it if you had to. That being said, I dive with two (sometimes three).

The issue is not the means by which you dive, it is the means by which you PLAN your dives. In the last two years tables have all but disappeared. But were they ever really there? The average recreational diver doesn't PLAN his/her dive. To see a diver sitting down on the boat ride out checking their NDL for the upcoming dive is a rarity. Even more rare is the diver without a computer that wears a dive watch.

So should you have a backup? If you honestly don't fully plan your dives then contingencies become more important and hold a higher value. If you plan your dives, check your computer / SPG regularly and have a failure then immediately ending your dive with a good safety stop and fully off gassing before diving with a different computer should be enough to keep you out of trouble but a backup means you can continue your dive and the following dives without sitting any out!

I guess I am one of the weird few that have 2 computers. One is a hose mounted air integrated console type, and the other is a low end wrist mount. I take both when I am on dive trips with repetitive dives on multiple days.

If my main computer dies:
I don't have to thumb the dive, but will if I can't monitor air supply.
I will have a working unit for ascent and safety stop
I will not have to sit out the remainder of an afternoon because I lost my dive profile
It is comforting to have a backup, and my backup only cost $149.

I guess great minds think alike. :wink: I have exactly the same setup ... additionally, I think both units should have the same algorithm, so I'm not scratching my head looking back and forth. I want to check one against the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom