Back-up Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a wireless AI computer and carry a small backup SPG. I always dive with a buddy and if my computer goes all I'm really concerned about is how much air I have left in my tank. Since i can have my buddy monitor depth and time. Has worked very well, but I guess you have to trust your buddy; although I would not dive with a buddy I don't trust.

I use a Cobra 2 computer (AI) as well as a Gekko I bought on sale. I dive with both using the Gekko on wrist mount with bungee. If one goes I still have the other to get me to the surface with safety stops and so forth. I also keep in my gear bag a back up pressure gauge. Should the Cobra 2 go out I can easily change to the pressure gauge and still use the Gekko. It happened once where my computer ( Cobra) started up with a low battery warning. I didn't take the chance so I swaped it over to a pressure gauge and the dive went on. You don't need two computers by any means, if your AI just have a backup spg and depth gauge console. We always plan our dive with the RDP and use gas strick management always.

I have a Zeagle N2ition which backs up my Suunto Cobra. The Zeagle is not AI and the Cobra is hose mount AI. The Zeagle was just received and has yet to see the water but it is one of the many "redundant items" that were on my list. Both will come with me on every dive now.

For open circuit scuba I have a Suunto Vytec DS on wrist with Cressi Archimede 2 in console as backup (with SPG and compass). I do a lot of solo deco dives and backup is a good idea in my opinion. Have had computers fail during dives and dive trips in the past - both my own and buddies.

For rebreather dives I use a Shearwater Pursuit computer integrated with a Megalodon eCCR and the Vytec is backup. Will eventually get another shearwater I guess.

The Cressi dive computer is a cheap computer and good value - by the time you get a depth guage/watch/bottom timer it is probably not much more expensive and would be cheaper than some combinations.

In fact if my Vytec died I would probably just get another Cressi and add deep stops myself (I do anyway).

I have recently posted close to the same question. Lots of mixed opinions! The chance of mine and my wifes computer both failing as she is my dive buddy is slim and none. However if your computer does fail, you are done for the day without backup.What if its the first 10min of your first dive on a 3 tank all day adventure. What if you on a high dollar dive vacation where you cant just go grab new gear. I have mulled the same thing over and over. I bit the bullet and just bought a pair of scubapro 3 gauge consoles to just stick in a bc pocket for my wife and I. It's just a piece of mind and safer. Sure it cost more, but knowing i can dive if my computer does bomb out is cool and you can still refer to tables. I am a new diver and I dont pretend to have all the answers. I hope this helps Stupid questions are the ones not asked

Computers don't fail often, but it does happen. Backup gauges don't hurt (other than being a little more gear to buy and carry) but the need for them really depends what kind of diving you're doing. If you're doing a couple shore dives locally and it's easy to go again next day or next weekend, you may not care so much about the tiny possibility of having to bag a dive. If you're out doing 2 dives on a local charter boat you will probably care somewhat more, and gauges can be useful as a backup if you plan for it. If you have flown thousands of miles with the idea of making many multilevel dives each day, not only will you care a lot, but that's a situation where you are taking much more advantage of the computer and gauges just don't make a very practical backup. (That describes most of my diving and I dive with a backup computer.)

(Hoseless air-integrated computers have the most ways to fail. Besides something happening to the computer, the link between the tank and computer can fail or hiccup. Many people think a backup analog SPG is a good idea if you're using one of those.)

FWIW, the Zeagle really was not that bad (cost I mean) for a second computer. If it is only a second computer, it does not have to have tons of features. It is a back-up. If I was close to my limits for the day when my primary quit, then the back-up would just safely get me to the surface. If I was on a dive vacation, then I would rent regs with a console (or get a console mounted on my regs) and continue diving with the back-up computer and put faith in quality control that the second one would not conk out.

I am a member of the 2 computer club. One on my wrist, and one in the console, both Aeris units. Never had a computer failure, but I like that I won't miss any bottom time if I do.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom