Backplate and STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks real good. I am a DIY guy and have gotten ready to make a STA and backplate several times but always end up finding one at a flea market for five bucks or someone gives me one for free. Not complaining but always thought this was a good project. You made it look very professional.

Thanks James,

I've been wanting to try my hand at it. I'm happy with the result.

Take care,
Mitch

Good work man. Very nice.

...On aircraft we use Alodine (which is chromated) with a Mil-Spec chromated epoxy primer (Mil-PRF-23377 or Mil-PRF-85582) with a Poly topcoat (Mil-PRF-85285 for Navy aircraft) on internal structure only. For external we use an anodize meeting MIL-A-8625 Type I, Type II, and Type III (Type III for no fatigue loaded parts only).
Wow, another A&P! Funny Alodine came up, I considered doing just that. I am opting to sterilize with alumiprep and then go powder coat on my BP, still in the air though (Pun intended). I built mine from a damaged panel off a CRJ-900 after a nasty bird strike.

OP, That BP looks great!

Thanks Razor,

I think there are quite a few of us aircraft types here. I'm a machinist, but I went to an aircraft sheetmetal school last year.
I'm doing machinist work as a civilian in Guam.

I used to live in Sandy, Utah about 2 years ago. I loved it there. My wife and I spent a month in Cherry hill RV park for the last month we were in Utah.
We moved to Alaska from there.

Take care,
Mitch

Wow! That's a thread from back in the day.

I don't have any drawing for that Yuri. As I recall, I took the measurements (for the slots) from another plate.
There is a drawing for a plate floating around.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
Very nice, especially the STA. The upper slot location is on the right spot. Too many other STA makers didn't notice their mistake

Most modern single tank wing have STA now built-in wing itself 8you can see STA on picture below). You need STA for case that you want dive single tank with wing for doubles ( temporary solution on some dive trip ) !

if your wing dont have STA and you want dive backplate , then get BP with integrated STA looks like : Stainless Steel Single-tank SCUBA Backplate very good solution

Attachments

• pictureprovider.jpg
    pictureprovider.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 126
  • ALA_DTD_RING141720_GRAN.JPG
    ALA_DTD_RING141720_GRAN.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 122
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom