backplate and wing compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a HammerHead SS BP with a Golem Gear 35# wing. The wing is STA-less and the single tank is very stable. The tank strap slots on the HammerHead plate match the strap slots in the wing.

I also have the Golem Gear AL BP and a HammerHead SS STA. So, I can go from light (AL BP, no STA) to heavy (SS BP, SS STA). The 35# wing handles it all.

I'm using a DSS wing with an Oxycheq plate, and it works fine. I had some problems with the newer DSS wing, which is built differently, but Tobin told me the issue is with my older plate,and the new ones aren't like mine.

So I guess what I'm saying is that DSS STA-less wings can work on other plates.

TSandM:
I'm using a DSS wing with an Oxycheq plate, and it works fine. I had some problems with the newer DSS wing, which is built differently, but Tobin told me the issue is with my older plate,and the new ones aren't like mine.

So I guess what I'm saying is that DSS STA-less wings can work on other plates.
Interesting. May I ask how you came to this combination? (I'm curious since I'm doing the opposite.)

Ask Bob . . . I bought the rig, as is, from him! (He lent it to me for Fundies, and I wouldn't give it back.)

Splitlip:
The only glitch might come if you use a DSS wing with somebody elses plate. As I understand it, the wing's "wobblestopper", which mates the wing to the plate without a STA, is designed specifically for the channel in a DSS plate.
The DSS plates are very low profile. The wobble stopper probably works with some manufacturers plates better than others.
As for a different wing mating to the DSS plate, I cannot envision any issues.
DSS now has it's own forum and a post there would probably get you to Tobin quickly.

I am using a DSS wing on a Dive Rite AL plate. The wobble stopper wasn't an issue but I did have to lengthen two of the cam band slots on the plate bay about .5 inch with a dremel to make them compatible. Also I had to add an extra hole to use the lower locator tab. Took about half an hour including smoothing the cut surfaces, but I would not recommend it if you are not a DIY'er. However, now it is a great combination.

One does not have to buy a whole system from any one manafacturer. If you are seriosly looking at this I would suggest a Halycon backplate and an AGIR bladder. It is the best combination on the market right now, in my opinion.
As far as the bladder is concerned you should be worried about how robust it is. The Halycon is the most robust I've seen out there but I don't think you need more robust than the AGIR. The thicker corduba used in the Halycon slightly increases your positive buoyancy and in my opinion is unneeded unless you have negative buoyancy issues. The AGIR corduba is plenty thick enough to protect against abrasion during tight penetrations.
As regards the backplate just make sure it has variable slots so you can fit it on non-standard doubles. Even if you are diving singles do not rule out the possibility that one day you may progress onto doubles:wink:

Tank Monkey:
One does not have to buy a whole system from any one manafacturer.

Of course ondoes not "Have" to buy from a single source, but that does assure the first time buyer gets compatible components.

Tank Monkey:
The thicker corduba used in the Halycon slightly increases your positive buoyancy and in my opinion is unneeded unless you have negative buoyancy issues.

??? "Cordura" is a Trade name of Dupont for certain Nylon weaves. Nylon has a specific gravity of greater than 1. How would a heavier nylon weave produce positive buoyancy in any fabric?

Tank Monkey:
As regards the backplate just make sure it has variable slots so you can fit it on non-standard doubles.

What wing should you use with none standard doubles? Virtually all wings sold today have grommets at 11" centers. Some may have more than one set of grommets, but they are all at 11" enters.

Tank Monkey:
Even if you are diving singles do not rule out the possibility that one day you may progress onto doubles:wink:

Nothing anyone has suggested in this thread would prevent the OP from eventually using doubles with DSS plate he now owns.

Tobin

It may be the beginning of a trend --or not--but some new wings such as the Oxycheq Mach V have no slots for bands. It must use a STA. This was initially a concern to me but I went with it anyways. I had been using my aluminum Hammerhead BP with the heavy stainless two piece Hammerhead STA and an older SeaTec wing. I purchased and subsequently modified a DiveRite single piece light weight STA. After grinding the stupid carriage bolts down and cutting a bit of matrerial from both ends so that the STA set flush to the backplate and then cutting an additional upper cam band slot so I can set my tank low enough that it does not bang my head I was pleased. The set up results in only--at most--about .2 inches additional height above my back plate than if there were no STA (which is not possible with the Mack V).

DSCF0253.jpg

I will probably start looking for a plate with a milder bend and lower center channel or possibly make my own with either an inverted center channel or a flat section--no raised center--for use with single tanks to allow the STA to sit even closer to my back. N

The Golem Gear 35# wing is very rugged: a heavy cordura shell and a heavy cordura bladder. Comes with SS tank bands, SS bolts, and an inflator hose. A rugged, nearly indestructible, piece of equipment.

I think it has a lifetime warranty. If it doesn't Jakub (SB name: LOF) will correct me.

Yes. If the wing fails in any way we will replace it for you.
I mean during normal diving operations. It might not survive machine gun fire, or asphalt surfing behind a truck :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom