backplate and wing for side mount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do one need a backplate for sidemount? It's primarily for mounting a tank or tanks on your back.

Not being snarky - interested as I may explore SM sometime soon.

Do one need a backplate for sidemount? It's primarily for mounting a tank or tanks on your back.

Not being snarky - interested as I may explore SM sometime soon.
I'm looking to transform my backplate to side mount when needed. I don't really want to drop another grand into dive gear. I have enough regulators, hoses and gauges to set up the breathing portion. looking for a cheaper alternative then all new gear to the BC portion of my Kit..(note, i will not make side mount my primary setup, just on occasion)

A fundamental issue is holding the wing down without a tank on top. The Toddy approach worked around this by sandwiching the wing between two backplates, but it's nowhere as good as a real SM rig.

I would strongly urge you to get a purpose-made SM rig. There are plenty of used ones available if cost saving is your objective.

Another option for an initial evaluation is to sidemount one cylinder on the left side of your BP with a bungee and put the "right" cylinder on your back. Evaluate the mechanics of reg switching, gas calculations, and (at least partial) gearing up in your particular scenario(s). Use 3 lbs of lead on the right side to improve balance if desired.

I have a OMS "Profile side mount system" This goes over your wing and keeps it from becoming a taco.

Its never been wet, drop me a DM if you are interested

1711383158908.png

If you are seriously considering sidemount, it is worth purchasing a rig designed for it. A traditional backplate and wing is designed for one thing: mounting a cylinder to your back. How the wing is constructed, the hardware necessary, the bungee used, etc. are all different for sidemount. Buy once, cry once. If you get something that is advertised to do both, you will end up crying twice.

Short answer: No.

You mentioned "needing" sidemount, in that case it's Hell No. If you "need" sidemount then you need an actual harness.

before purpose built setups were more prevalent, some would sandwich their wing with an extra plate aka toddy style or use an adapter like the OMS to prevent tacoing.

but it doesn't work well, so you are better off buying a cheap setup like from DECO, Scuba diving equipment specializing in sidemount wings and harnesses., if your lift needs are modest (eg diving in warm to temperate conditions). otherwise the xdeep stealth tec is popular for a good reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom