Backplate or vest BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus:
I whish I bought B/P and wings to start with. But I would not rush into getting doubles until you have plenty of experience since there is a lot of negative bouyancy and weight of gear to get used too. I assume anyone doing double set up these days will have steel doubles and not alums.

I got some AL 80's doubled up and like 'em.

Im glad to know alums are the tank of choice then. Most people I know with doubles went with the steel tanks. Maybe because we are in the norhteast and wear a lot of weight. I only said I assume they use steels from the data I have from the group of divers and community I dive with. If alums are used a lot for doubles, I stand corrected.

bam540:
Im a newly certified diver who is wondering about what type of BC I should invest in. Im diving off the coast of New Jersey, and most of the guys on the boats that i have been on use a backplate set up. The dual tank set up seems a logical choice for extended bottom time. Is a backplate setup the way to go right off the bat, or should I buy a vest style BC, and work my way up to a backplate?

My first experiences in diving was with rental jacket BCs. At the time I didn't know enough about scuba to know any better or to appreciate that anything could be better. I was enjoying being underwater too much to realize how much of a fight using a jacket BC was. Then I got a DACOR back inflate BC which was a huge improvement. It wasn't the same "fight" to dive as I'd expereinced before. Now I have a stainless back plate and wing with one piece harness, and can tell you that it's a huge improvement. Were I you, I'd check out the BP/W setup before spending money on a jacket BC or any of the popular jazzy style BCs.

ScubaSarus:
Im glad to know alums are the tank of choice then. Most people I know with doubles went with the steel tanks. Maybe because we are in the norhteast and wear a lot of weight. I only said I assume they use steels from the data I have from the group of divers and community I dive with. If alums are used a lot for doubles, I stand corrected.
Yeah, that's where steels rule. By using them you can drop a lot of weight off your belt.

Can all you BP/W users out there who has had "regular" BC experience start listing Advantages and Disadvantages. I currently have a Sherwood Freedom (what I consider a "regular" bc) and do not plan on going into doubles for a long time.

I am however, always looking into possible improvements for my rig. Thank you all in advance.

tau:
Can all you BP/W users out there who has had "regular" BC experience start listing Advantages and Disadvantages. I currently have a Sherwood Freedom (what I consider a "regular" bc) and do not plan on going into doubles for a long time.

I am however, always looking into possible improvements for my rig. Thank you all in advance.
1) simpler construction
2) you WILL have superior buoyancy characteristics
3) Easier to use
4) Easier to pack
5) You'll like it better! :)
6) you'll be more streamlined in the water

Randy43068:
1) simpler construction
3) Easier to use
4) Easier to pack
A agree 100%, based on my experiences.

I really prefer a soft backpack and wing like the ScubaPro X-Tek and S-Tek or the Dive Rite Transpac. I think they give a much snugger fit than a backplate and offer many of the same advantages. I also dive with a backplate and the same wings but don't like that setup as much.

Randy43068:
1) simpler construction
3) Easier to use
4) Easier to pack

I love mine!!!

I do still use a jacket style BC for confine water assistance. But my preference is definitely BP+Wing for openwater.

Could say BP+Wing is the RIGHT choice for everyone. But I would have went straight and get the BP+Wing setup if I were to go back and get my first BC device.

I'm deciding between the Wing/BP and the Brigade. I like both the Brigade and the Deep See BP/wing so far. What would be good for me here, is if someone could put some links to BP vendors for us to check out. Is there a links thread on here anywhere?

I'm in Houston and have to travel to almost every dive site I go to, so light/compact is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom