Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a website that explains the backplate & wings system in plain english? I've been to Halcyon and OMS websites, but frankly they are talking a bit over my head.

I want to explore the idea of a backplate and wing setup, instead of taking the jacket bc that my lds is suggesting to me.

I'm also assuming of course that a bp/w is still quite useful for rec diving in the Caribbean as it is in the cold water and altitude where I live.

Thanks for your input.

This is a great site to find that info. Try the search feature. There are many discussions of bp pros.

I knew that "search button" reply was coming. My fault for not preventing it.

I have already searched the board. I've avidly read everything everyone has to say about a bp/w setup.

However, I'm obviously missing some key info that everyone "in" on the discussion has already learned.

I don't know all of the terms. I don't know what an STA is, I don't know how the stuff is set up, and the GUE website doesn't explain it. Halcyon shows some neat pictures, but everyone uses the same acronyms.

I was hoping for something a little more basic to get me up to speed on the discussion, so I'd be able to ask more educated questions.

Boomx5,

Thank you very much for those websites. I'll peruse them in depth.

I think you've just answered all my questions. :D

I'll be sure to ask specific questions when I've had the chance to digest all of that information.

Thanks again, I can already tell these websites are more easily understood than trying to follow some of the threads on the BBS.

Thanks again!

Don't miss this article on the history of the BP.
Rick (by the way, I'm one who doesn't recommend a BP for single tank tropical applications)

(by the way, I'm one who doesn't recommend a BP for single tank tropical applications)
I'm curious why not? I've read in other posts that quite a few divers prefer a bp in all situations.

I dive with a backplate in all situations now. The main reason why I like b/p setups is the stability of the tank (its held in place with a harness and crotchstrap.) The other reason is for weight distribution across the back and bp/wing adaptability for different kinds of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom