Backscatter 3.1 or other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good stuff

My wife has the Backscatter 3.1 flip system for her GoPro. At first we had another just snap on filter but the 3.1 system is so much easier and you don't have to worry about it coming off or doing something with the lens/filter if it's the pop off kind. I also like the fact that if you wanted to, you can add a flip macro filter to it as well.

I can tell you that she has attached the "shallow" and "dive" filter to hers but pretty much just uses the "dive" filter during the dive. If you are shallow enough to use the "shallow" filter, you probably don't need the filter anyway. We've never even put on the deep filter.

When I was at DEMA the past two years I really looked hard at all the red filter options out there and still believe the Backscatter 3.1 is the best.

If you feel you were trained only to 60' then dive within those limits. The limits are not enforced by any law in most areas of the world, other than the laws of physics and physiology. Those are STRICTLY enforced. I use one of the polar lenses and have been pretty happy with the out come.

Well I'm going scuba diving in California in a month, so I am finally ready to buy a filter. Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I'm gonna go with the Backscatter 3.1. I don't want to cheap out and get a bad quality filter, but I'm also not a 'pro' diver or photographer, so while I acknowledge the more expensive ones are better, I don't think its worth it to me. Backscatter seem's to be a good compromise as far as price and quality goes.

The last thing I need to decide is If I should get the single Dive filter package (20-50ft filter) for $70 and use it for all occasions or spend $130 for the 3 filter package (<20ft, 20-50ft, >50ft). Any advice on this?

We have the three pack filter but only have used the "Dive Filter". Honestly, if you are 20ft or less, I don't think you need a filter so the shallow filter isn't much good for us and if we are deeper than 50ft, we still use the 20-50 ft. filter. We did just buy the macromate filter to add to the system but that's extra anyway and I think you could add that to the single filter system but not 100% on that.

Well I'm going scuba diving in California in a month, so I am finally ready to buy a filter. Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I'm gonna go with the Backscatter 3.1. I don't want to cheap out and get a bad quality filter, but I'm also not a 'pro' diver or photographer, so while I acknowledge the more expensive ones are better, I don't think its worth it to me. Backscatter seem's to be a good compromise as far as price and quality goes.

The last thing I need to decide is If I should get the single Dive filter package (20-50ft filter) for $70 and use it for all occasions or spend $130 for the 3 filter package (<20ft, 20-50ft, >50ft). Any advice on this?

One thing to consider is where you'll be using it. The regular Backscatter 3 filter package is best used in good visibility water. They also make a "green water" filter that is better for colder climes/low vis (I used this filter for New England diving). Not sure if California diving qualifies as good vis diving = Give Backscatter a call and they can provide advice....particularly since they are located in (and dive in) CA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom