Backup computer for when your main fails while in diving trip ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do think it is kinda funny that people seem fine carrying no scuba redundancy and relying on a buddy for air should a problem occur, but seem so uncomfortable with using the buddy’s computer as a guide to finish out the dive. Seems like relative risk is lopsided to me.
I believe in both cases--when one diver is OOG or has a computer failure--the conventional wisdom is to end the dive in a controlled but expedient manner. That said, I have seen divers, even divemasters, have the OOG diver remain on their donated reg for a LOT longer than just to end the dive. It seems par for the course that we would also see a diver rely on their buddy's computer a lot longer than just to end the dive.

I think many people in this thread are more concerned about what to do for "repetitive diving" than how to finish out the current dive when a computer malfunctions. There is no repetitive diving concern in an OOG scenario, so it makes sense to me that more people would be fine with relying on air-sharing to finish out a dive when OOG than to rely on computer-sharing when a computer malfunctions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom