Backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rec diver using a Peregrine with a Cressi Giotto as a backup.
Looking for a different computer for 2nd.
Can't afford another Shearwater but want something that doesn’t beep every time I turn my head.
60 y/o eyes so need sizable read out/display.
Console or wrist?
Thoughts?
Recs?
Got one for $ale?
Thnx, d

I use an OMS bottom timer as a backup. Have done since I began diving. I do have an imperial bottom timer( I dive metric now) with a bungee mount for sale, $25 usd.

I like everything on my wrists.

The Deep 6 Excursion runs the same algorithm as the Peregrine (Buhlmann ZHL-16C) with adjustable gradient factors. I've never used one but heard good things about it, although the display doesn't look at large or nice as the Peregrine. It's currently $349.95 -- less than the Peregrine but not sure where that fits in your budget.

Deep 6 Excursion

Bottom timer works for me. Can use the planning feature on my shearwater before I splash to get a handle on the repetitive aspect then treat as a square dive and stretch out the safety stop. Running both together I've found that results in a lower ending GF than if running the computer even if I go down to the "NDL" on the timer.

The Oceanic VEO 4.0 is a great value and can be set to be very liberal so that it won't restrict your diving as a backup computer. Very good readable screen.

If you prefer another Peregrine and can wait a few months, I’d hazard a guess that there may be some used Peregrines on the market shortly after the release of the Tern in the new year.

My preference is to have the same model for the back up as the primary so the algorithms are the same and don’t have to muck about with another interface.

The Deep 6 Excursion runs the same algorithm as the Peregrine (Buhlmann ZHL-16C) with adjustable gradient factors. I've never used one but heard good things about it, although the display doesn't look at large or nice as the Peregrine. It's currently $349.95 -- less than the Peregrine but not sure where that fits in your budget.

Deep 6 Excursion
+1 on the Deep6 Excursion. I use one as a backup for my Perdix and the algorithms match perfectly. I have no trouble reading the display and you can turn off all audible alarms

If history repeats itself, the Excursion will be on sale "soon" for $300

I use a Shearwater Perdix AI as primary and a non AI Perdix for redundancy. 😎

my backup computer is between my ears and it's not very good

Back
Top Bottom