Backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec diver using a Peregrine with a Cressi Giotto as a backup.
Looking for a different computer for 2nd.
Can't afford another Shearwater but want something that doesn’t beep every time I turn my head.
60 y/o eyes so need sizable read out/display.
Console or wrist?
Thoughts?
Recs?
Got one for $ale?
Thnx, d
I have been using the Garmin G1 as backup to my Perdix. Very happy with it.

Pros: same deco model, GFs etc, all the smartwatch functions, gps etc (value depends on whether you wear it every day), always on my wrist so one less thing to forget, decent battery life (approx 12 days, less if diving. 60 min charge), very durable, low profile (2 perdix or peregrines is more than i want on my wrists), relatively inexpensive.

Cons: smaller lcd screen (but most important numbers are big and easy to read, even for me), goes under my thick wetsuit so i carry a longer strap if i need to wear over wetsuit.

The G1 is an affordable option but the Tern is not too much more and has the bright color display. Your call.

I have been using the Garmin G1 as backup to my Perdix. Very happy with it.

Pros: same deco model, GFs etc, all the smartwatch functions, gps etc (value depends on whether you wear it every day), always on my wrist so one less thing to forget, decent battery life (approx 12 days, less if diving. 60 min charge), very durable, low profile (2 perdix or peregrines is more than i want on my wrists), relatively inexpensive.

Cons: smaller lcd screen (but most important numbers are big and easy to read, even for me), goes under my thick wetsuit so i carry a longer strap if i need to wear over wetsuit.

The G1 is an affordable option but the Tern is not too much more and has the bright color display. Your call.

I do the same exact thing. I wanted a smart watch with gps for daily wear/exercise and it fit the bill perfectly.

I would still probably go with the G1 over the new shearwater models simply as it has the smart watch/GPS capability. If/when shearwater adds those feature, i would look at them as a backup to my perdix.

If you prefer another Peregrine and can wait a few months, I’d hazard a guess that there may be some used Peregrines on the market shortly after the release of the Tern in the new year.

My preference is to have the same model for the back up as the primary so the algorithms are the same and don’t have to muck about with another interface.
Is the Tern, like a Peregrine but with AI and in watch factor? (Still no trimix)

Is the Tern, like a Peregrine but with AI and in watch factor? (Still no trimix)
Pretty much.
  • Watch form factor.
  • Compass
  • AI transmitter capable (TX version)
If someone wants Trimix and several other tech options/features, they need to spend the extra coin for a Teric, Perdix, or a Petrel.

Trimix is coming to the deep 6 excursion. Probably not fast enough if you're just starting tech today, but if you're looking for your first backup computer, it's probably going to be ready for trimix before you are.

Trimix is coming to the deep 6 excursion. Probably not fast enough if you're just starting tech today, but if you're looking for your first backup computer, it's probably going to be ready for trimix before you are.
Off topic I know, but do you know if CCR off board support is in the works for the Deep 6 computer?

Off topic I know, but do you know if CCR off board support is in the works for the Deep 6 computer?
  • Future software unlock available for:
    • Full Trimix
    • CCR Mode
    • 11 Gases

Ha, ha, mine also. It seems to have deteriorated with time:))
Maybe they'll finally legalize our software upgrade. :santa4:

Trimix is available today, has been for a while in the new firmware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom