Backup dive light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 On the Intova lights. I have 2 of them that I use as backups for wreck diving. Bright with a nice tight beam. These are the narrow beam version of the Tusa 300 and work great.

I like halcyon products.

Has anyone tried a UK Q40? I spotted this after I posted......

I'm a little annoyed with Princeton. A single flood in freshwater should not have ruined the light. It's a very very simple light. Batteries, a bulb, and a couple of contacts.

IMO, that would be a great lite for you---in fact, that's what I use as my primary lite for all my (jet)travel diving ie clear warm water--day & nite.....local(non jet) diving, I use a C8 eLED

I don't know why more people don't favor Pelican lights. Here's one that I have a couple of, and I think it's great. You need a pocket long enough for it, though ...

Pelican Products Nemo™ 2410 Recoil™ LED Flashlight

Good to 500' depth, LED burns bright and focused, and a long time, lifetime warranty. It can be had for under $40.

I use the Salvo (Light Monkey) Rat Jr as one of my back-ups. When recreational diving, I use it as a primary, and highly recommend it. It's teeny-tiny and rock-solid, but it packs a pretty sold punch in terms of brightness and longevity. I've seen some amazing second-hand deals for this light on the classifieds pages of various boards, too. For example, one diver wanted $50 for each of his/her three Rat Jr's, which is pretty awesome for such a high-quality light.

The new Halcyon HP Scouts are expensive, but very bright!

+1 Intova ICOM. Not super reliable, but only $50, tiny, and the light output puts the ImpactXL to shame (imho).

+1 Intova ICOM. Not super reliable, but only $50, tiny, and the light output puts the ImpactXL to shame (imho).

I'd shy away from any backup light that's not super reliable. Think about when you're gonna need a backup light ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just going to add my 2 cents as well:

I use the IST T16. It's nice and compact, has an LED so a nice output, and features an actual on/off switch, not a twist-to-turn-on solution. Good backup, and not overly expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom