Backup Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a cave diving course you learn how to exit from a cave in an out of visibility situation. That's almost like not having a mask. You can probably do it but wouldn't it be much easier if you had a spare mask? It could save your life. What probability of an accident occuring is low enough to make you risk your life when you can prevent it without great effort? And in an overhead environment the probability of bumping with your mask agains something and breaking it is bigger than in open water. But even beeing you in open water, it's a bit difficult to do a controlled ascent whithout beeing able to read your computer. I know that because it happened to me. Without any apparent reason the plastic of the mask broke and the mask lost its form causing the water to enter. Fortunately I was able to take the water out every time I exaled. In this case a buddy is a help but in many technical dives or a part of them you are solo...
Not beeing a tek diver, but wanting to become one, I wonder, have I said a lot of mistakes?

Sometimes I carry it and sometimes I don't. I haven't installed my new pocket on the left side of my drysuit yet so I'm short on space. I used to carry it in my right pocket but I have a spool in there. I'd rather have easy access to the spool. Anyone carry a spare mask on their light can?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Anyone carry a spare mask on their light can?

Hmm i had carried it in a similiar position before with bad results.

When i first got into tech diving, before getting a cannister light system, i used to carry my deco bottle on my right side. Anyway i strapped my mask to it for a few dives and some how during one of my wreck dives the swivel (between the mask and the strap) ended up snapping off.

So stopped carrying it there after that. My guess is it rubbed between my body and the tank thus breaking, but who knows.

Anyone wear their spare mask inverted on their head (like a baseball cap worn backwards)?

Im wondering how much of a snag risk this might be. Im not sure where i saw this done before. Either a cave diver or a military diver i believe.

Not to be confused with tech divers who where their mask like this when on the dive boat suiting up.

Quest once bubbled...
Either a cave diver or a military diver i believe.

Is he/she/it Still Alive? :bonk:

Willer

Quest once bubbled...
Anyone wear their spare mask inverted on their head (like a baseball cap worn backwards)?

Ohh yeah that would be brilliant... wear the spare mask where you are going to loose it at the same time you loose your primary... where are you getting this stuff dude?? :wacko:

I've seen it too, but I belive it was backwards on the neck and not the head. That way it woudn't come off easly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom