Backward kick: Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so everybody is writing about keeping your head up and than i watch both links and this guy's head is not up at all... the mystery of the back kick - to be continued.

Not only is his head not up, but also he's dropping his knees in the second link.

I'm having some trouble with backkicks as well. Having some trouble with my trim (my legs are too high) and I also need to slow down and feel the glide as this is not a power kick.

Ha!! Cheers for the advice on practicing in the pool! Just tried that during lunch time today and it worked! Best thing was, I was able to do it very relaxed with no anxiety. It was a hoot seeing the quizzical faces around the pool. I swear the lifeguard was gonna whistle on me to stop fooling around, while the chap next to me was gonna tell me that I'm doing my breast stroke kicks all wrong! :lol:

Can't wait to try it out in the pool on Wed.

Good going! Don't they know that you're working out for the 100 yd backstyle?:D

Not only is his head not up, but also he's dropping his knees in the second link.

I'm having some trouble with backkicks as well. Having some trouble with my trim (my legs are too high) and I also need to slow down and feel the glide as this is not a power kick.

If you have your head down, how to you keep your situational/team awareness? Also head down tends to make your feet go up and you end up backing upwards to the surface. Of course if you then drop your knees, that will compensate for your head down...but why do that.

Keep at it and also I found it invaluable to have a buddy do video of you and then you can see what you're doing in the water.

so everybody is writing about keeping your head up and than i watch both links and this guy's head is not up at all... the mystery of the back kick - to be continued.

These are not very good examples of how to do the back kick.

While learning to Back kick you need to keep your head up, this helps you stay trimmed. You need to be horizontally trimmed. Don't drop your knees. The power comes from the lower leg, rather than the fin itself, the Fins really are just getting in the way.

It's a 3 stage process.

step 1, Knees bent at 90deg, feet parellel to floor, Soles of the feet together (or at least touching), this stiffens up the fins, as they are pushing against each other.

Step2, Slowly extend the lower leg backwards, while making sure the feet stay parellel to the floor.

Step3, Pull your lower legs back towards the body, stopping at about 90deg, while twisting the angles so the feet go outwards

Then slowly return to step1

This is very hard to explain in text, but fairly easy to show in the water, it's one of those skills that really needs instructor time to teach properly.

HTH

John

Anyone have any descriptions of dryland drills to practice the back kick? Getting pool time is a bit difficult right now.

I tried practicing last night at the local lake and it was not pretty - out of trim and knees dropping and not going anywhere. For a few brief moments I did get to the point where I could hold my position but it sure didn't last.

I guess practicing on dry land, you've just gotta lie down on your front, and practicing the kicks. Take particular care with the recovery phase cos it's the most difficult bit with fins.

I took the chance to practice in the pool while I was helping with OW training, and man, while I was gliding along nicely during the catch phase, I got back to where I started with the recovery phase. BUT when I wasn't making a conscience effort (had to back away from the students who were doing their skills practice), I was able to do it. It was basically a very slow effort, without TRYING TOO HARD with the catch, and letting the fins drop down VERY slowly during recovery. May be just lucky, but I'm gonna try it this weekend in the sea. Wish me luck! :D

One of the things about the back kick is that, if you are trying too hard, you defeat yourself, because you'll do the extension phase too fast and push yourself as forward as the subsequent part of the kick brings you backwards.

In our cavern and Intro classes this week, we had to back kick a course about a hundred feet long, with 360 degree helicopter turns in each direction at each tie-off. I was BEAT by the end of that! (We also had to do helicopter turns with our fins off -- THAT was a challenge.)

Woohoo!! Tried out my backward kicks over the weekend in the sea and I've finally got it! Had plenty of opportunity to try it out when I was assisting with a group of OW divers in very difficult conditions (the monsoon is coming). I had to move to the students who were performing their skills to help them, and then back away with my backward kick. Am so so thankful for all the advice of the kind folks here. And yes, taking it slow with the loading phase IS crucial.

Yahoo! Well done. A couple of years ago I never thought I'd have the control in the water that I do now, and I'm still learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom