Bad Air!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just a curiousity question......since carbon monoxide is colorless,odorless,,,,just to test a tank,if there was carbon monoxide in the tank,,do you think a blast out of it would be enough concentration to set off an in home style detector?

Dandy. . . the boat left. . . and you missed it!
Thanks; I am probly not qualified to understand.
You're the only diver using air, and carrying a CO meter.
Nope, but the numbers are too few. DAN readily admits that they have no idea how many diver deaths were caused by CO but written off as other, usually drowning - much less how many close calls were written off as traveler's flu.

What was your point...?
CO is odorless, and tasteless, but Oil contamination, mold, dirt and other contaminates leave a mild to stinking reaction to the air in a tank.
Yep, I am well aware of those two points as well as that CO is often found along with the oil. We do know the air was bad; we do not know if CO was also involved along with other possible toxins. You don't know; no one knows; but the chances are increased for CO on this case.
Your doubts about her advice to get medical evaluation was WRONG.
I never doubt her advice, just wonder if she is a little subtle at times. Perhaps not.
just a curiousity question......since carbon monoxide is colorless,odorless,,,,just to test a tank,if there was carbon monoxide in the tank,,do you think a blast out of it would be enough concentration to set off an in home style detector?
Nope. Worthless in this situation.

Think I could get a government grant to study that?

I've never encountered bad air... yet, but I appreciate all the comments here... gives me a lot to think about.

I've never encountered bad air... yet, but I appreciate all the comments here... gives me a lot to think about.
Most who have never know. Neither tanks nor bodies are often tested, especially on close calls written off as "some bug."

And I doubt that many of the deaths each year are a result of CO. But we don't know.

I created enough of my own problems tho, and I am happy to know that my air is safe at least.

When I offer advice, I try to do it with the idea that the people who are getting it have some degree of common sense. Not every cut needs stitches; not every funny-tasting gas leads to a medical problem requiring a physician's attention. I tried to give some parameters for what WOULD require medical evaluation -- shortness of breathing, particularly if worsening; nausea and vomiting; confusion or lethargy. Although CO toxicity has a specific treatment (O2, norm- or hyperbaric), hydrocarbon toxicities do not -- treatment is supportive, and based on the severity of symptoms. Therefore, delaying until symptoms are present may not affect the ultimate outcome.

I use to have my tank's filled at a dive shop five years ago, (I will not say who).
I know other divers where complaining about bad air from there.
I quit haveing my tank's fill there, after experience a bad headache, that lasted for rest of the day, (after the dive).
The air had strong oil odor, and did have a taste.
That dive I did was over fifty feet deep, at Priest Lake Idaho, five years ago.

Thanks to all for the feedback an to all those who have never had this happen... I never hope it does!
its now Friday and after reading an doing a little looking into what may have been a very fatel mistake on all of our part's. were being a wee bit more cautious and all of our diving for the week had been killed. we did contact the LDS in question and all he had to say was that his comp and bank system had been checked and it must have been our tank's!!!!!
I tell you what six tanks all went bad at one time? that must be some kind of record.
our regs are fine and have been looked at as well as all the tanks.
I think my buddy Steve an I got the worst of it and are now fine an looking to our next dive.
and as a diver with a few years past instruction, you sometime forget to do the simple tests like oh say sniff air! I had a very good teacher who told me he looked to all of his students needs but one day he forgot his own an it almost cost him, his life.
He learned an now so have I.

I hate these stories, but they happen - and the air suppliers never seem to accept fault. Glad you guys are ok Avon...!
all he had to say was that his comp and bank system had been checked and it must have been our tank's!!!!!
So typical.
30077o1.jpg
I tell you what six tanks all went bad at one time? that must be some kind of record.
our regs are fine and have been looked at as well as all the tanks.
Wait, no residues found in the tanks or regs...?

Carbon Monoxide can be a possible problem along with or without hydrocarbons, none of the more learned posting here seemed to think I was on the right track. Without a CO analysis of the air or a medical exam of the injured, I am not convinced that it can be ruled out - but I am certainly here to learn, not so much to argue. Can some explain..?
Was this a case of hydrocarbon poisioning?

If so, why no residues?

Is anyone certain that CO was not involved, with or without hydrocarbons?​
For me and my bud, we smelling & tasting after analyzing all tanks, but I'd like to learn more...?

No one can be certain that CO was not involved, but the respiratory mucosal irritation symptoms (cough, irritated throat) do not occur with simple CO. They require other substances or particulates in the gas.

Various aromatic hydrocarbons, such as toluene, can be present in compressed gas and cause toxicities, ranging from nausea to lethargy and confusion or even unconsciousness. They would be more likely to be associated with irritation, and with next day nausea and vomiting.

There are a couple of fascinating threads running on The Deco Stop right now about compressor maintenance and aromatic hydrocarbon contamination. I have been reading them with great interest, and learning quite a bit, as a result of which I have had some good conversations with the owner of my LDS, and I feel much reassured that I am getting clean gas. The threads will teach one a lot of appropriate questions to ask.

Back
Top Bottom