Suggestion Bad Behavior By Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are a lot of negative experiences in our community with the liveaboard companies, and it seems to be worse since 2020. How about a separate forum that gathers information in one place here from divers' bad experiences with liveaboard companies and high-volume online brokers like liveaboard.com? This would be a way for us to learn about the companies based on real-life incidents and bad behavior before making a booking. This would be separate from a trip report, which encompasses the whole dive trip experience.

Edit: This suggestion has been approved for member voting. Cast your vote to the right of the text box:rtarrow:

Allstar is the only company who has treated me right when things went wrong.
In keeping with the "positive as well as negative" I'll say that the only liveaboard that I've been on was an Allstar -- Blackbeard's, their least expensive option. They ran a great operation and did us right when weather added a bit of difficulty to our schedule. Would definitely do a liveaboard with them again. (And yes, I voted on the Question above).

I can barely stand to have a "stranger" diving with me on the boat for a day, so how can you live on a boat with a bunch of strangers? Plus having them command you and paying for it.
I’ve done about 20 and survived. If you’re doing 5 dives a day, eating, and sleeping, there isn’t a lot of time for conflict, not that I’ve seen much occasion for it.

I voted. TWICE!

I've had some shocking liveaboard experiences, but that was many years ago. An increase in budget and better research (thanks to the internet) has led me to avoid the worst of them. I don't always get it right though. This was the case with my last (and possibly last ever) trip.

Once upon a time I was getting on a flight from London to Egypt for a liveaboard trip. There was a very pissed up guy on the flight. Totally obnoxious to crew and other passengers. It was also obvious he was going diving. When we were split in to our respective liveaboard groups at the airport, the relief in my group that he was on another boat was palpable.

As mentioned, there isn't a lot of time or energy for conflict on liveaboards. I've met a few strong characters, but have been able to avoid them. I've also made some friendships that lasted years and you know what they say, if you can't spot the weirdo on a liveaboard, it's you!

I have been on 29 Aggressor trips. Only had one where the crew was a problem, Belize and almost a brand new crew for that trip. One trip in the Red Sea where the boat was an issue and swapped over to another boat, lost almost a day of diving, but the crew did a great job moving us and our gear. The Aggressor management has been an issue from other people, but I haven’t had a problem so far. Things outside what the crew can control, such as weather, have happened, but between the crew and guests we have made the best of it. I understand some people have had issues with Aggressor, but it has so far worked for me. I have has some difficult individuals on a couple of trips, but normally a word to them or the captain takes care of the issue. Haven’t had to throw anyone overboard yet.

Also remember on discussions like this one o’crap wipes out 1000 at a boys.

I’ve done about 20 and survived. If you’re doing 5 dives a day, eating, and sleeping, there isn’t a lot of time for conflict, not that I’ve seen much occasion for it.
Just wondering how long is each of the 5 dives., I do 2 dives of 70-75 minutes and have no more time left to do more.

Two in the morning, two after lunch, one after dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom