Bad Ending to Otherwise Good Bonaire Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is gun ownership legal on Bonaire?

I won't go to Bonaire because of the crime. Mexico cause of the drug killings and flu. Jamaica cause of the crime and drugs. Curacao cause of the car theft. Caymans cause of the money laundering. In fact, I 'm going to barricade myself in my basement with my gun collection and live on canned food and water from my hot water tank. I'll make sure and monitor the internet and the mainstream American "media of fear" so I can be properly terrified of each and every new threat no matter how inconsequential. I will miss out on most of what life and the world has to offer but I will be perfectly safe and die of old age in my bed.
BTW I have been all over the Caribbean, travelled to all of the above locations many, many times and have never been the victim of any crime. Not one. I'm either incredibly lucky or we only hear about the bad stories and not the good ones. Someone should post a Bonaire poll so we can see what percentage of people actually experience a loss. I bet its less than 5%.

or we only hear about the bad stories and not the good ones.

I think you hit on a key with that. I've been to Bonaire 8 times and have never had one thing stolen. Obviously it happens and when it does, because of the internet and forums like ScubaBoard, we hear about it. But what we don't hear is for every one person who is a victim, there are hundreds if not thousands who never have a problem. I think Bonaire is one of the safest islands I have been to and will keep going back.

After all, Liz has probably run out of all the Crystal Light I brought her!

Well I have been to Bonaire four times with no crime issues at all.

However, I "tend to follow the don't be a victim unwritten rules".

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for stepping up Liz! We tourist really appreciate your effort and your willingness to discuss this in an effort to improve things rather than trying to dismiss them like some do when a problem is reported.
I will be stopping in to see your place on our next trip because I might have just found the place where I stay on my next trip to Bonaire! We are already booked for our next trip there so it will have to be the following trip.
Thanks Liz,
B

WOW!!!

Would you like to know the secret to Liz's success in life, in business and here on ScubaBoard? SHE DOESN'T PASS THE BUCK!!! She has taken the onus for:
  • accepting that it happened.
  • figuring out the cause.
  • figuring out multiple solutions.
  • implementing the solutions QUICKLY!
This is a negative thing that happened at her facility and rather than rant, point fingers and live in denial, she steps up to the plate and knocks out a homer! I know where I am staying when I go to Bonaire! You rock Liz!

.......................Snip....Someone should post a Bonaire poll so we can see what percentage of people actually experience a loss. I bet its less than 5%.

This was done here several years any, I don't remember the exact outcome but it was less than 10% and I suspect if the total trips were averaged in, it would be way less than 5%.

This was done here several years any, I don't remember the exact outcome but it was less than 10% and I suspect if the total trips were averaged in, it would be way less than 5%.
Haha, you say that like that's an acceptable range...?! :silly:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom