Bad Leg Cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every suggestion in the prior posts is a good one, and I will add one more to the list- consider your fins. I think a quality split fin could also help. Not to big, not to stiff, properly sized. I swear by mine as a 50 year old who dives in cold water half the time. Second suggestion- swim technique. In addition to using a frog kick, when using a scissor kick be extended- only a slight knee bend, not a bicycle peddle.

Hey, just wanted to add my 2 cents, I had the same problem in my first pool dive, the next day I loosened the heel straps considerably and problem solved. I'm not very experienced but it worked for me. Rick

Still get cramps with split fins? I thought they were suppose to alleviate them for everyone who doesn't have muscular calfs. I would think the only thing you can do is to kick you fin with the bicycle pedaling method, since one almost exerts no force against the water, although I don't think you will be getting anywhere.

But hopefully, you will get a DM that likes to take things nice and slow, so nobody has to do much finning.

I'm sure this has been asked many times before,

I am a very "casual" diver. once or twice a year at most. Last year I did a shore dive off of California and had very bad cramps in my calf, where I could not even kick without stopping and stretching my leg by pulling my fins. At the time I wrote it off to never diving the cold water.

I have a trip in August to Puerto Rico and would like to try the diving down there. I took a few dives in a pool, just to re-familiarize myself with my gear and make sure everything was working properly. I did get the cramp in my calf again, and this time I had a cramp in the arch of my foot as well.

I have large enough booties ( snug but not tight ) and I have XL split fins which I have used for years. The heel strap I have always wondered if that should be tight, or loose?

Is there anything I can do to help with these cramps?

yea, quit smoking & eat more bananas-----or-----only do drift dives???......:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom